She turns with a snarl on her lips just as the bartender sets her glass down. "That'll be-"

"Just put it on my tab," the stranger dismissively waves.

"No," she forcefully interrupts. "I wouldn't want you to believe that I owe you in any way," she sardonically quips.

"Hey!" And then before Regina can even register what is happening, Deputy Swan is swooping in to press a kiss to her cheek. "Sorry, I didn't see you come in. I was sitting across the bar, babe." Regina is stunned into silence when Emma's attention swings toward the bartender. "Hey, you can put this on my tab." Nobody is saying anything, too busy being puzzled by the entire situation but luckily, Emma proceeds as if this is all normal. "I hope you weren't waiting long."

Regina blinks, analyzing the way green eyes expand and plead with her to play along. "Not long at all, dear," she manages to reply but her voice is all throaty and sounds very confused.

"You can't possibly think that I believe you two are together?" This annoyingly persistent man scoffs in disbelief.

"I don't care what you believe," Regina quips, rising from the stool to stand beside the deputy while whisking away her drink, "it was never your concern."

Miss Swan snorts inwardly, hooking her thumbs into the belt loops of her skinny jeans, provoking the rejected man to scowl. "And you couldn't possibly believe that she would ever give you the time of day," she mocks, gently placing her hand at the small of Regina's back and guiding her away from that pig.

The touch is faint, nothing at all inappropriate or disrespectful, yet it still warms her back, creating a tingling sensation to sweep up her spine. That one touch awakens her senses and makes her feel more than she has felt in a very long time. It terrifies her soul.

"Sorry, you looked like you needed some rescuing," Swan sheepishly confesses as they make their way to the other side of the bar. "Have one drink with me to keep up the façade?" She hopefully invites, her eyes so big and expressive and it makes Regina feel safe.

Subconsciously, it reminds her of her fiancé but she banishes that thought from her mind.

"Why not?" She shrugs carelessly, her resolve to keep this woman at bay slowly crumbling when Emma is nothing but sweet to her.

"Great!" The deputy happily beams, pulling out Regina's stool and gesturing for her to take a seat.

Regina flashes a kind and polite smile as she slips onto the stool. With a shaky hand, that she hopelessly tries to steady, she brings the glass to her lips and slowly sips her drink. The cool liquid tickles her tongue before burning a path all the way down her throat but she fights the urge to cough. The bartender leans down in front of them and smiles.

"Am I still putting her drink on your tab?"

"Absolutely! And since I look kind of pathetic with my Bud Light, can I get a whiskey to keep up with her?"

Regina's lips twist and turn to ward off the smile threatening to reveal itself. She ducks her head down to control her face as the bartender wanders away to make the next drink. When she believes she has her emotions in check, she speaks.

"Thank you," she quietly says.

"Don't mention it."

"No, thank you for not only buying my drink but for breaking up that man's futile attempt at flirting."

Deputy Swan chuckles, taking the last swig of her beer before the bartender drops off her next drink.

"He's a douche." Regina sniggers to herself but Emma must hear by the way her eyes light up with amusement. "Well, this is a far cry from our morning runs together. You're actually using words."