Interference

I ended up staying the night at Mike's. After I explained everything about the encounter with the long armed monster, it was quite late and I was honestly too scared to bike home. They believed me, which was refreshing. We know that Will was hiding from this creature, we just don't know where. I expect somewhere in the forest, but I already know the cops have searched almost everywhere.

Right now, I sit next to Eleven on the couch while she plays with a toy, her cold feet pressing against my sweatpants. I've come to like the girl, especially after she scared Dustin by moving his hair with her mind. Speaking of which, the three boys stand together at the table, and I join them when Mike begins speaking.

"We'll tell our parents we have AV club after school," He says, looking around at us all, "That'll give us a few hours for operation Mirkwood."

I know that Steve won't care how late I am home, and he won't care what excuses I give him.

"You seriously think that the weirdo knows where Will is?" Lucas says and I shake my head at him.

"You gotta stop calling her that, man."

"Just trust me on this, okay?" Mike says, "Do you have the supplies?"

Lucas nods, "Yeah. Bonoculars, army knife, camoflouge bandana. And the wrist rocket."

"You're gonna take out the Demogorgon with a slingshot?" Dustin says, using the name of the figurine as the name for the monster.

"First of all," Lucas defends himself, "It's a wrist rocket. And second of all, the Demogorgon's not real, it's made up. But if there is something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye-" Lucas whips the yellow rubber string at Dustin and me, making us flinch, "—and blind it."

"There is something out there." I insist, "And I didn't see any eyes on it, so good luck with that, man."

Lucas shakes his head at me, and I sigh along with Mike.

"Dustin, what did you get?" He asks the curly headed kid, who pulls out his backpack. He dumps the contents onto the table, and I instantly stare at him in disbelief.

"Okay, we got bazoukas, nutty bars, smarties, pringles, yellow wafers, apple, bananas, and trailmix." Dustin grins at us and I groan.

"Seriously?"

"We need energy for our travels, for stamina," Dustin says, "Besides, why do we even need weapons anyways, we have her."

He gestures to El and Lucas protests.

"She opened one door! And tugged on a rug!"

"With her mind!" Dustin retorts, and I laugh. "Are you kidding me? That's insane! Imagine all the other cool stuff she could do. Like-"

I watch as Dustin grabs a model Star Wars spaceship from under a blanket, "-I bet, she could make this fly."

He stands in front of El, who holds a blank face, and shows her the ship, "Okay, concentrate."

I roll my eyes as he drops the thing and it clatters to the floor.

"Okay. One more time." Dustin picks up the ship and I shake my head with Lucas. "Okay. Use your powers, okay?"

I almost laugh at Eleven's expression when she lets the thing go crashing to the ground again, not even glancing at it.

"Numbskull." I mutter under my breath and Mike runs over to grab the ship.

"She's not a dog!" He exclaims, picking the toy off the floor. I hear the basement door open and everyone turns to the sound.

"Boys, time for school!" Mike's mom shouts. We all grab our bags, and I bite my lip.