chapter six

MARCH 05, 1959

It had been a few weeks of Claire and her Big Daddy scouting the streets of Rapture together. At first, she was hesitant about going out into the new areas of the city, following the intoxicating smells of angels for her to harvest. Yet after she realized that her dashing hero Daddy, who she had named 'Mr. Bubbles' because of the little screens on his helmet, she knew she would be safe. Every time her needle was jammed into an angel's heart, and the baddies came to try and snatch her up, Mr. Bubbles was always there. He was her protector.

She had gotten past the fact that he wouldn't (or couldn't) talk much. Claire would make a comment about the fish behind the big windows and all he would do is groan after her, like a big whale slowly tugging along. At least he tried and that's all that really mattered to Claire.

The majority of her life then turned into her finding these angels and getting their sweet nector from their insides. The girl didn't know why she only found this substance to be acceptable. In the vents, where she met other little girls with big eyes like hers, they would bring other treats to munch on. Cookies and lolis and sweets. Yet every time a girl tried something, they would spit it out and complain about the awful taste. Claire did this too, and it was odd. She could faintly remember chocolate sweets being a favorite of hers - but not anymore.

And on that day, like all days, Claire climbed out of a vent to greet her Big Daddy with a grin, and this time a drawing she had did of the two. Setting her needle toy on the ground, the girl lifted the drawing up at his bubble screens and squealed, "Look Mr. B! It's you and me! I drew it all by myself!" His response was a soft, low groan and a pet to her head. From his big hands, her hair had now become a bit messy and knotty. This granted the monster a giggle from his little girl. "I just brushed my hair! You hafta be more careful."

The Big Daddy lowered his arm which allowed Claire to swiftly climb up and onto his back so she could sit on his oxygen tank. She tucked her drawing between his helmet and his suit then gave a pat to his head. "Onwards Sir Bubbles!"

He happily bounded forward.

Their day continued as usual; Claire would guide him to a fresh body, she would start to harvest, Splicers would come for her and it would end with her Big Daddy saving the day. As repetitive as it may seem, Claire loved it. This way she could see all of Rapture and find new places to play. In the vents she would meet new girls who talked all about their Daddies. It was fun and exciting. Every girl would call the other sister. They were all a big family of Sisters and Daddies. Claire had never had a sister before.

There was one girl that all of the others would rarely talk to. She mostly stayed near Arcadia, a place were trees and flowers grew. Claire had only been there once and that's where she met her. Claire didn't know her name but she wore a soft, baby blue dress with white frills on her sleeves, so Claire nicknamed her Blue. From what Claire had observed, Blue had no Daddy. Blue would wander around the pretty garden with tears in her eyes, crying over and over for her Daddy to come back. The other girls talked about this a lot, wondering why Blue never talked to others and never wanted to leave Arcadia, despite the danger she was in without a Daddy to protect her. No Little Sister ever left by themselves, and if they did it was to look for their Daddy yet they never strayed too far. Going out into Rapture alone was scary, even with the sight each girl was blessed with. A Splicer could get them at any moment without a sound. It was a scary thing to think about.

The girls were given their answer about Blue one day. Another girl named Janie, who was a little older then the rest, told them; "Her Daddy died by the baddies."

No one had heard about the Splicers actually winning and killing their protectors. Each child was made to believe that their Daddy would always win, would always fight them off and never leave them. It just never occurred to them that maybe, just maybe, their Daddies could be killed.