two

Max threw on her Freddy Kruger hands, wanting to switch it up this year.

Last year was Michael, but this year was Freddy. It was going to be awesome.

"Max, honey, you better get going! You're going to be late!" Her mom called, and Max said, "Coming!"

She grabbed her pillowcase and headed down the stairs, and headed towards the door.

"Max!" Her mother said, and Max turned exasperatedly. "Yeah? Mom, I have to go."

"I know, honey, but it's too dangerous for you to skate there so Billy's going to drive you."

"What!?" Max exclaimed, and Billy came strolling into the room. "Yeah, I'm not too happy about it either, jerk, but it's what I have to do so get in the damn car."

Max let out a groan of frustration, but headed towards the car, once reaching it opening the door and slamming it behind her.

Billy got in a few seconds later, starting up the engine and pulling out of the driveway.

They had been driving for a few minutes before he said, "You going trick or treating with those freaks from last year?"

Max nodded. "Steve is going with us."

Billy whipped around to face her. "Steve Harrington?"

Again, Max nodded. "Yup. He's meeting up with us a little later though."

Billy growled under his breath, but didn't say anything else as they reached the street, which was already filled with kids.

Max got out, and felt a wave of relief when Billy pulled away, leaving a cloud of smoke behind him.

"Max!"

She turned and saw Dustin, Lucas, and Will coming up to her, pillowcases in their hands as well, Mike lagging behind with a sullen expression on his face.

"Hey, guys!" She said brightly, and looked around. "Hey, where's El?"

Lucas winced. "Don't say anyth-"

"She couldn't come, okay?" Mike said bitterly. "She wanted to make up for last Halloween with Hopper."

Max knew the two weren't dating anymore, but were still really close friends and said, "I'm sorry, Mike."

He snorted. "Yeah right."

"Mike, chill out." Dustin said. "Let's just go trick or treating and have a good time, alright?"

He didn't answer, and Lucas, who Max was currently dating, said, "You ready, Max?"

She nodded, and he put an arm around her shoulders as they started the hunt for candy.

The night progressed slowly, with Dustin, Will, and Lucas bolting up to houses as fast as possible and getting more and more food, and Mike slipping in snide comments to Max when he thought they weren't listening.

Finally, when the other boys were a couple of houses ahead, Max finally snapped.

"Look," She said, glaring at him. "I don't know what the hell your problem is, but we're all here to have a good time and you're kind of ruining it."

"Ruining it?" Mike asked, feigning obliviousness. "How?"

Max shook her head. "God, you are so obnoxious, Mike Wheeler. Just because your precious El couldn't make it trick or treating doesn't mean you have to-"

"Shut up!" Mike said. "Shut the hell up! You don't know what you're talking about, so shut the hell up!"

"It's true, isn't it?" Max said angrily. "You're mad, and so you feel like the rest of us have to have a shit time!"

"You must think you're so smart, that you have me all figured out-" Mike sneered. "Well, you don't."

"I know you well enough to know you are a complete and total asshole!" Max exclaimed, and before Mike could answer, she heard Lucas say, "Guys?"

They both turned to see the boys coming up to them, pillowcases in their hands and worry lines creasing their foreheads.

"What's going on?" Dustin asked, looking between them, and before Max could speak Mike had cut across her.

"Max was freaking making fun of me because El couldn't come!" He said. "She was throwing it into my face!"

Max stood dumbfounded at the lie that had just sprang out of Mike's mouth. "What!? No I didn't!"

Mike rolled his eyes. "And now she's trying to lie her way out of it, just like she always does!"

Dustin, Lucas, and Will exchanged looks, and then Dustin said, "Maybe you should just go home, Max."

She gaped at them. "Guys- I didn't! I swear to God- you have to believe me!"

Lucas put a hand on her shoulder. "Look, I'll call you later, okay? Just go home."

He gave it a squeeze and then turned to walk with Mike and the others, but Max stopped him, shoving Mike backwards.

"You complete ass, Wheeler! What the hell!? I never said anything!"

"Yes you did! You just fucking did!" Mike shouted back, and she yelled, "You are such a bitch to everyone! Just because you hate me-"

"Just get the hell out of Hawkins!" He snarled. "No one wants you here- especially not me!"

There was a shocked silence as Max stood stunned.

Before she could say anything, Mike had picked up his bag and stormed off, Will close at his heels.

After a couple of seconds, Dustin and Lucas followed, muttering, "We'll see you tomorrow."

And then, all four boys had disappeared into the night, leaving Max standing in the street, her pillowcase hanging limply by her side as she wondered what the fuck Mike Wheeler had against her, and if she would ever break down a single one of his walls.

sorry this is a shorter chapter, i didn't really have very much inspiration for this one :(( but this is dedicated to everyone who needed the second, new update coming soon! in the meantime, leave some comments and votes, thank youu