part twenty-six

i sat next to billy, his mom on my left and his dad on billy's right

i sat next to billy, his mom on my left and his dad on billy's right. an empty place was set across from us where max was supposed to be.

we ate in silence, billy's hand on my thigh. my breathing was hitched as i brought my fork slowly to my mouth.

it was so awkward.

his hand rubbed slow circles into me, making me glare up at him. this was totally his fault.

he just chuckled breathlessly and continued eating.

"so, betty. how long have you lived in hawkins?"

i looked up at susan, her eyes kind.

smiling, i said, "i think about the same time as you, mrs. hargrove."

she smiled back and nodded as the silence returned.

grunting, mr. hargrove dropped his fork before putting both elbows on the counter.

"why are you here," he questioned bluntly, making me choke on my mashed potatoes.

billy took his hand off of my thigh and rubbed my back as i tried to gain my breath.

"she's here because her mom just died and she had nowhere else to go," he said, speaking up for me as he still rubbed my back.

"you should've asked first," billy's dad said at the same time his step-mom said, "i'm sorry for your loss."

i gave a small smile in susan's direction before turning all my attention to billy's dad.

"he would've if you had been home," i said simply before taking a bite of chicken.

he grunted before continuing to eat.

billy gave me a side glance, clearly shocked. i grabbed his hand and intertwined them under the table.

for the rest of dinner, no one said anything. i thanked them for the meal before billy and i returned to his room.

he noticed my drooping eyes and started making up the bed for me. then, he turned towards his dresser and pulled out a loose shirt. looking from the shirt to him and then back to the shirt, i had a questioning gaze.

turning around and pulling out his cigarettes, he said, "we'll go get your stuff tomorrow. just change." he sat the pack on the counter before taking off his jacket.

nodding even though he couldn't see me, i changed into the shirt he gave me. it smelled of his cologne and marlboro smoke.

"you can turn around," i said while walking closer to him.

he turned around and his hands wrapped around my head, intertwining in my hair.

"hot damn," he said, staring at me. "you're so fucking gorgeous."

laying down on the bed, he crawled in after me.

grabbing me by the waist, he pulled me into him. he put his head in my neck causing me to sigh.

with everything that had happened, it felt nice to find some piece of comfort.

—————

yay? nay?