part ten

holding my shoulders against the door, she repeated her question

"who the hell was that," but this time, each word was drawn out to emphasize how much trouble i was in.

"i'm sorry, mama. i didn't mean to break the rules. they're... my friends."

with that, i had earned my first slap of the evening.

"do you know what happens when you make friends, betty? do you know?" of course i knew. i was reminded at each place we moved to.

"you get closer. what happens when you get closer? they start asking questions. then, you break like the weak child you are. and then we move again." another slap was applied to my face.

"i'm sorry, mama," i said again, in hopes of making the punishment stop.

"this is all your damn fault!" sinking into the back of my head, i was reminded that it was all my fault.

~~~~~~

"betty, this is jonathan. we've been dating for quite awhile now and i thought it was time you met him," mama said, her arm intertwined with this unknown man's arm.

"hello, it's nice to meet you," i said smiling. 15 year old me was naive to all of the pain to come by this event.

"and this is his son, jones," she said, stepping closer to the man, jonathan. jones walked closer and i could finally see him.

he wore all black but wore nothing else to indicate he was grunge. yet, he screamed danger.

"hi, jones. i'm betty," he stuck out his hand and our hands met. his grip was tight, making me wince. at the time, i just thought he had a good handshake.

months later, i knew i was wrong. when they moved in, there was no escaping.

"you're my punching bag. you tell anyone— and i mean anyone— you're dead."

he would meet me at the porch, in my room, or in the kitchen. first, it wasn't too bad. just a few slaps or one punch to the side.

it later became, much, much worse. up until the worst incident happened that made mama and i go on the run.

~~~~~

after twelve slaps, i was free to go. my face burned out of pain, humiliation, and anger.

sitting on the floor next to my bed, i wrapped my arms around my legs and let the tears fall freely.

this was all my fault. it would always be my fault.

all i am is a nuisance.

————————

next update will be on monday! thank you all so much for reading. i really appreciate the comments and likes. they truly make my day. (:

oh, and there will be more about jones in the next few chapters. he's such a dick.