The Emeralds

As the pain started to set in, I looked up and saw his eyes staring back at me.

He smiled the same smile that first caught my attention and whispered to me, "It will be alright, someone will be here to help you soon."

We both knew that it would take at least 30 more minutes for anyone to get to where we were but I felt comforted anyways. As he began to talk more about what will happen after I am helped I started to feel weaker and weaker.

I looked up at his emerald green eyes and whispered, "I love you," and then the world went black.

----------------------------------------------

"CATHERINE!!" I groaned. I didn't want to go to school today. " CATHERINE GET UP!! YOU HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!"

Ugh. In the old society girls my age didn't have to go to school anymore, but ever since they changed their ways life has been different....or so I've been told. I rolled out of bed and peeked in the mirror to see my brown blonde hair sticking out in all directions and my icy blue eyes half open.

I should be more appreciative of what my family and I have, everyone tells me about the war and how many people now live in poverty. Even though so much bad happened then, I hate the way we do things now.

We go to school until we are 19 then we are given our forever jobs (our callings), our soul mates, and where we will live. Although today is my last day, because I will be 19 tomorrow, I wasn't excited about leaving. I was one of the oldest in my level with only 5 or 6 to have graduated before me. That means I'd be leaving my best friends, James and Karla, who wouldn't graduate for at least a few months after me. Their birthdays weren't until August when mine was in May and in this society it is hard to keep in touch after you graduate. No one knows how to hand write anymore because it seemed irrelevant at the time of the society switch.

My sisters' yelling brought me back from my trance and told me to get ready for school. My parents are waiting for the food and I go back into my room....what to wear? I decided to go with my usual outfit, a cute top with a skirt, and tried to brush out my rats nest excuse for hair. I decided to put it up in a bun and by the time I came out I only had time to eat a waffle and run out the door.

----------------------------------------------

At school I went through my usual schedule, history first, then math, science, athletics, and ending in our calling classes (my least favorite). We learned about the different calling options and what we might be called to work in.

I never liked this because it was designed by the system and the system told me who to be. I want to chose I do with my life, I don't want strangers choosing my life for me based off a test!

As the teacher mumbled on I stared out the window and was imagining the world before the switch when I heard someone's voice on the loud speaker.

"Catherine Long, please report to the office. Catherine Long, please report to the office. Thank you." Click. everyone turned around to face me. No one is ever mentioned on the loud speaker...like EVER. On the rare occasion someone was they were one of three things:
1. In trouble
2. Sick or leaving for the day
3. Had their calling early

I knew it couldn't be the first option because I was the perfect student. You know the one on the posters? Usually with the dumb inspirational speech with a cat? Yep that was me.