Chapter Sixteen: Fulfillment of Sacrifices

I arrived back to our house just in time for barely ten minutes later my family came back home.

They were all talking merrily amongst each other, recalling the events of father's, new year's party which irked me. Once they noticed me sitting on the couch in the drawing room they all stopped their merry-making and completely ignored me, every single one them passed by me without addressing my existence.

Luckily Macy kept her mouth shut about me leaving the house yesterday for which I was grateful for it felt like I had at least one person whom I could consider an ally even if she wasn't a willing participant in my lies and deceit.

That night an unusually large, snow storm blanketed the Earth in a thick layer of white. Mother Nature's wrath was so great the next morning father decided to close the office.

I was used to winter's fury for New England's winters were usually harsh and unforgiving, but I hadn't expected Birmingham's weather to be similar as I was hoping for an escape from snow as I despised the cold, frozen flakes.

Maggie however wasn't deterred and she spent the whole morning and a greater portion of the afternoon running around the yard with Rover playfully chasing after her.

I spent the whole day hiding in my room not wanting to confront my family for I felt they still didn't want to see me.

* * *

The days slowly crawled by and as they counted down and drew closer to father's party I couldn't help but feel dread for I was going to be the reason it would end in destruction, madness, and terror.

The day before the party father insisted he go to the hotel to oversee preparations to make sure everything was perfect and going all according to plan.

Momma, Ryan, and Maggie all agreed to go along with him possibly because they still wanted to avoid me and I let them have their wishes for I stayed behind at home.

My mouth wanted to curse my family after they left for their continuous treatment of me, but my mind reminded me it was my fault to begin with why they despised seeing me.

I sat in the drawing room attempting to try to make some sort of a connection with Rover, but the puppy growled and bared his teeth each time I tried to approach him and it didn't matter how many times I scolded him, he still refused to accept me.

I eventually gave up dealing with him and sat down on the couch and tried to read, but I couldn't calm my mind of my racing thoughts about the events which would take place the next day.

The doorbell suddenly rang sending Rover rushing to the hallway in excitement and he barked and scratched at the door.

I got up and moved the puppy out of the way with my foot which caused him to growl, but I ignored him. I opened the door and Thomas stepped inside without greeting me or asking for permission to enter my house.

I slammed the door shut to try to scare Rover away, but he started barking loudly and snarled at Thomas.

Thomas just stared down at the puppy not intimidated by its presence in the slightest and after Rover sensed the gang leader's power and dominance he let out a yipping noise and backed into the drawing room to hide.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"We 'ave some details to settle before tomorrow rich girl," Thomas answered, "First do you still 'ave the revolver I gave you?"

"Yes, why do you need to know?" I continued my questioning much to his annoyance.

"You'll need to know how to use it. It'll be the only thing you 'ave to defend your family with. Where is it?"