after (pt. i)

D.
W.

"Hey, Bree," a voice calls.

"Yeah, Dal?" another voice's attention is on him.

"I'm going out, okay?" He asks.

"Okay, just don't get home too late!" She smiles at him and he feels that same fuzzy feeling every time she does so. He takes his coat and walks out of the house with keys in hand. Dallon has been at home for too long and there is more time to kill before dinner, so, he might as well waste it on something worth while. The options that Dallon had in mind are quite boring. coffee shop, the library, and others that he thought of were "eh"

Then, an idea hits him, the bakery! There is a bakery around the town. He could get a small cake or some sort of pastry for Breezy and himself! She does loves cute cookies and desserts. Then, a decision has been made, Dallon starts the car since he's already in it.

He drives out of his apartment's parking spot and turns up Miniature Tigers. Listening to this band always puts him a good mood and so, he's in one. The city lights are shining bright while he drives. Everything is perfectly okay now. The bakery he decides to go to is a cute little eatery as well. They didn't just serve pastries since they had sandwiches and beverages at hand.

He comes to a red light stop and his concentration on the street goes on the starry sky. It reminds him of nights like before where Breezy and him would watch movies together and enjoy each other companies. But recently, they've been so busy and times like before never comes back to them. He wishes on the million glowing gases to have them back, just for a day or two. The things he would do to spend time with his girlfriend.

Then the car behind him honks their horn and Dallon's thoughts of the past quickly dissipate. He drives again, taking a few turns before entering a plaza where the bakery would be. Dallon parks the cars and steps out, taking a breath. Barely any other car is in the lot, the only thing here is two other cars.

He goes into the bakery and the smell of all food infiltrates his lungs. A smile is on Dallon's face as he examines all the baked goods through the glass.

"Hey, Dal! What are you doing here alone? Where's Breezy?" An employee named Chase Lawrence (whom Dallon had become friends with after multiple visits to the bakery and seeing this face on many occasions) smiles at Dallon while he restocks the muffins.

"She's at home doing her businesses, you know that, Chase!" Dallon smiles but that smile wasn't completely happy.

"Ah, well, I'll get her usual and you?" The cashier asks, preparing Dallon's order into the machine.

"I'll just get two oatmeal cookies and a...snickerdoodle."

"Gotcha, just give me a sec." Chase goes into the back as he is out of snickerdoodles. Dallon stands at the cashier area, waiting for the younger lad. He turns his head to examine the bakery, a few people are in here. There is a table occupied with a large amount of people, perhaps six or seven. Which must be why there is a minivan parked out there.

Chase comes back from the back with a paper bag in hand. He sets the bag down in front of Dallon.

Dallon pulls out his wallet but the employee puts his hand on Dallon's.

"Hey, don't worry, it's on the house." Chase smiles and gives the bag to the taller man.

"Chase, are you sure? I feel like I'm robbing you for some money right now!"

"Nah, we're all good here. Just consider this a repayment for all the tips you leave me." After the "thank yous" and "you're welcomes" have been spoken, Dallon turns to leave the bakery.

From where he's at, he sees an approaching figure, who is reaching for the handlebar. Dallon holds the door for the person. The two people make eye contact and it's almost like the memories from six years ago are attacking them.

The person that Dallon is holding the door for has eyes too familiar. Brown eyes that are kind-looking now but Dallon knows that the kind façade isn't him.

He stares at Dallon for an awfully long time, giving time for the terrible memories to invade his mind again.

They break off the contact and quickly get away from each other's vicinities. There's something coming back to haunt Dallon's mind while he mechanically gets in his car. He should have know that the memories would come back. That he would have to step back into his life.

< > < > < >

god,,,i was having a good time writing but then i remember about a french project i haVE,,,no worries chase lawrence (who is the bakery cashier!) is making me hAPPY AGAIN.

the band is coin and chase is the one in the denim jacket with the curls on one side of his head, i lOBVE HIM SO MUCH.