The Promise [Short Story, English]

They said that promises are made to be broken. I used to believe in that saying once until somebody prove me wrong. I am Jane and I'll tell you a story that touched me and changed my life.

When I was 16, I met a guy named Kevin.

He is charming, nice and friendly. I was comfortable around him because he's like a big brother to me. A big brother that I always wanted to have when I was little.

I like him very much and I never expect that one day, I'll fall in love with him. He's around twenty one and he just finished his college at that time.

We were very close to each other.

He said that I was a special friend and he can't afford to lose me.

You know how hard it is to be just friends with the one you love, because all you'll see is everything that you wanted to have.

I know someday, deep in my heart. I'll be able to tell him what I feel for him.

And I wasn't wrong..

"I love you. Even if I'm just a little sister to you."

I said not looking at him.

I know that he won't feel the same for me. But there's a little in my heart that wants to try.

"I love you too."

Slowly as I raise my head and I saw him smiling at me.

"But you're still young for me. Maybe someday, we can be together"

He smiled once again

I don't know what to say..

For a year, were like that. Just friends. Until..

"In a week, I'll be 18 and I want you to be there. We'll be dancing ok?"

I told him, with a big smile on face.

"Uhmm."

He sighed.

"I'll be out of town. I don't know when I'll be back."

I felt sad about it.

"Please?" I begged. He was staring into my eyes.

"Ok, I'll be there." he smiled.

My face light up when I heard what he just said.

"Thank you!" I embraced him and thanked him.

I couldn't wait any longer.. We'll be dancing underneath the starry night, like those in the movies. So romantic! I can't wait..

And the long wait is over..

Everyone was busy preparing. I was too excited for tonight and I can't define what I feel. But I heard that he is still out of town and maybe he won't make it tonight.

"He'll be there." his mom told me.

I just smiled at her, hoping that she's right.

The party started at 6:00pm and I walked in wearing a beautiful and elegant gown. Everyone stares at me but my eyes was searching for him.

The night was about to end and I couldn't find him anywhere.

I went to the balcony and stared at the stars.

"You promised me, you liar."

"Who?"

I heard a familiar voice. I turned and looked back and he was there smiling at me.

"You're here!"

"You look beautiful tonight. Happy birthday."

He gave me a gold locket with the words I'll love you for the rest of my life.

The song So close played.

"So may ??I have this dance?"

He offered his hand. We danced together, just like what I've been dreaming of.

You're in my arms

And all the world is calm

The music playing on for only two

So close together

And when I'm with you

So close to feeling alive..

The music ends.

"Thanks for loving me Jane. Always remeber that I'll be there when you need me, I'll be by your side when you feel alone. And I will always love you."

Why does it feels like a goodbye to me? Why does it feels like he's going somewhere and he'll never be back. Like he's going far away from me.

I closed my eyes as his lips touches mine.

"I love you goodbye.." he whispered into my ears.

When I opened my eyes he isn't there anymore. I looked at the the locket..

"To my one and only."

I felt a soft breeze embracing me..

I went inside and looked for him and I saw his mother crying while holidng thye phone.

"Jane, darling." she said with tears in my eyes.

"Kevin is dead."

I couldn't believe what I just heard.

How is it possible? We're just dancing a moment ago.

"He's found dead inside his car, he's caught in a car accident."

Suddenly I felt like the world is falling onto my feet. Tears fell off my eyes.

We went to the hospital where they brought him..

The police gave me a locket. They said that they found it on his body. He was holding it.

Is that a dream? No it's not.

He was there, we danced together. It was his desire to fulfill his promise to me. To make me happy on my special day. And that's true love..

---Thanks for reading! Comment vote!!! 

With love.. Author