Chapter 14 - The Celebration of Tantu

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"What tales are those?" Turner asks, sipping at the drink with the barest of a shy smile. She has just caught Lashawn checking out the man she was just looking at.

"Those of our past. They are the history of Tantunu told through dance and music. Today is the celebration of Tantu's return to our tribe."

"Reverend Jiwe was just telling me that this place was protected by five totems. But that they were all stolen," Lashawn tells Turner.

"It was Tantu that returned the Fox and Flame totems to us. Sadly, the other three were lost to us forever." His deep-voiced chuckle is pleasant to hear. "But listen to me. I am spoiling everything before our masters can regale you with the legends."

"No you ain't," Lashawn says quickly, almost mournfully. She pulls her gaze from the specimen of youthful prime again. "We can't speak Zambesi like the rest of you all. Hearing these stories from your mouth before the tales is almost a requirement. Without this, we'd likely know nothing about what's going on later. Trust us, you're doing us a favor."

As Richard Jiwe tells the two foreigners about the mystical origins of his village, the three gravitate toward the enticing smells from the outdoor stoves, cook fires, and mixing pots. He also advises them on the proper eating etiquette for a feast like this, especially in regards to the almost exclusive use of their right hands during the meal. Once this custom is pointed out to them, they are quick to recall that they haven't seen anyone using their left hands to eat. Lashawn comments on the peculiarity of the customs of this place. Asking about what other oddities of custom define their lives here, Jiwe does his best to answer her question, but considering how easy it is to assume everyone does things just like themselves, it requires all three to present their own experiences and observations of their own cultures for the exchange.

Jiwe is the perfect host. He has a smile for the handful of elderly women of the village, and a quick gem of advice for the children, or a compliment to the teenage chef of the vegetable stew, and all while keeping his tales about the village alive for the two strangers. He switches back and forth between near-flawless English and the wonderful tones of the Zambesan tongue with ease, and never once slips in the source of his language. At one point in the feast, the girl who gave Mari a flower on the day of their arrival approaches them and offers each of the strangers with a small bowl filled with squash and corn. Jiwe asks her a couple of questions. To each, she replies shyly.

"She says that she made this special for the special women who have come here. It would do her an incredible honor if you would sample some now before she leaves. Especially you, Ms. Turner, as this is a peace offering, and one with some home-grown magic that may help you keep your demons at bay."

"We are the ones who are honored," Lashawn says, taking a spoonful. The richness of the vegetables have blended together with the spice of cardamom and a dash of cinnamon. "Oh wow! You really know how to cook, 'cause, girl, this is amazing!"

Turner nods fervently, and makes yummy sounds.

As Reverend Jiwe translates Lashawn's enthusiasm to the girl, she smiles broadly, says something and runs off.

"She cooked this herself?" Turner asks through a mouthful of food. "How old is she? 10? I don't think I could even cook eggs when I was that age."

"Say what we will about life in a village, these kids be growin' up right. An' healthy! I'm feelin' healthier than I think I ever done. No wonder all you boys are so slim and handsome."

Jiwe laughs indulgently at Lashawn's compliment. "We lack the stores of cities. And because we have only God's bounty in the ground and along the plains around us, it is up to us to feed ourselves. That teaches us to be responsible and since this is the only home many of us will ever have, we must protect it. It is for that reason that we keep our wastes as minimal as possible."