20 • Cupid Ball

Start from the beginning

The girls continued to chat among themselves.

"Girls! Jaeseok still has no partner for the ball!"

"Really? OMG do you think he'll ask me?"

"Shut up! He's probably going to ask the one he likes."

You ignored the chatter of the females and went inside the school cafeteria and sat at your usual table. Mirae volunteered to buy the food for the two of you.

While you were waiting, the girls from the other tables suddenly errupted in screams. You knew what this meant. Everyone knew.

You looked at the entrance of the canteen and saw Jaeseok entering.

Jaeseok is clearly the high school sweetheart. Besides his sharp looks and dreamy smile, he has an amazing body figure that all the guys aspire to have. Whenever he enters, he has this unique aura he always carried with him that made girls swoon every time.

You sighed and removed your eyes from him. One more second of staring and you knew you would drool. Mirae came back with your food and you two started eating.

"Um, Excuse me?"

You turned to look at the source of the voice. You were surprised to see Jaeseok in front of your table.

"Can I ask you something?" He asked.

"You're already asking," Mirae stated bluntly, earning a slap at her arm from you. "Well what is it?"

He smiled as he rubbed the back of his neck embarassingly, but it looked adorable. "Do you already have a date for the ball tomorrow?"

"W-Who are you asking?" You stuttered, and eventually your eyes widened because you suddenly spoke up. Maybe he would speculate that something is wrong with you by the way you just acted so you stay put and waited for a reply.

Contrary to your expectations, he ignored you and looked at Mirae. That's when disappointment and hurt invaded your heart.

"Oh you're asking me," Mirae said, "Sorry, I already do."

Jaeseok smiled and nodded. He left the table and went to his table with his friends and immediately talked to them about something and you saw him and his friends taking a quick glance to see you. Or maybe Mirae. You didn't know.

"I... I guess you're the girl he likes," You said and faked a smile.

Mirae felt pity towards you. Her face immediately laced with concern as she looked at you. "Y/N."

"I'm happy for you," You stated and closed your eyes to stop the threatening tears from coming out, "Excuse me."

You got up and left the place. You weren't in the mood to talk to anybody despite their greetings to you when you passed the hallway.

You went straight to your locker and decided to get your things for your afternoon session.

"Do... Do you know anybody who still has no partner for the ball?" Jaeseok asks, again rubbing the back of his neck. It really did look adorable, but right now, you don't have to notice these simple things that makes you fall in love with him more.

"A-Ah," You didn't know if you should say that you don't have a partner or suggest a girl who deosn't have a partner. "Yeah, I do know a few people."

"Are you perhaps one of them?"

You nod as a response, trying to hide your trembling hands underneath the books.

"Be my...partner?" He asks, and for a moment you saw a flicker of regret in his eyes when you didn't reply in a matter of seconds.