Chapter 7

Ciara's POV

"Ciara," Ziff said breathlessly, "Ciara, we have to leave, now."

"Why?" Oh God, what had happened? This was my worst nightmare, something happening and me not being there beacuse I was training. "What happened? Are they coming?" Ziff nodded, trying to catch his breath. I cussed under my breath.

"The Circle's advancing towards the city gates," he gasped for breath, "The commoners are being evacuated and the Caomhnóirs are preparing for battle."

"No," I said, "I have to stay here and help." It was my duty as the princess to protect the kingdom and the people. Ziff shook his head.

"No can do princess, King's orders." No, no, no, dad, how could you do this to me? He knew it was my duty to protect Magzornia, but he also knew I really wanted to go on this trip really badly. I shook my head.

"Sophia, Cassie, Victoria, you guys stay here and help. From what I've heard, they need it."

"No," Sophia protested, "We took a vow that we'd never leave your side. You need us." Her sisters nodded in agreement.

"You don't understand, our kingdom needs you guys. With all three of you, they stand a better chance against the Circle." The triplets continued to shake their heads. I sighed. "You leave me no choice."By the Order of Hecate," all three of them gasped.

"Ciara!" Victoria gasped.

"You wouldn't," Cassie said.

I wanted to stop, but I couldn't, it was for the good of the kingdom. "I order you, Sophia, Victoria, and Cassie, to stay in Magzornia and do all that is within your power to protect this kingdom." Three blue lights appeared in the shape of a ribbon and they each wrapped themselves around each of the triplets. "You are now bound to my order. Go." I commanded. The triplets left, Sophia giving me a murderous glance. I closed me eyes, please let this be over. When I opened them, my best friends were gone.  I said, "Let's go." Nichole, Ziff, and I walked towards the forest, leaving Magzornia to fight for itself.

I felt like my heart got wrenched out of my chest, twisted into a knot, and put back in wrong,. What I was doing was wrong. How could I turn my back on my kingdom at their most desperate time of need? NO, I needed to focus. Finishing the quest meant going home, finishing the question meant defeating Circe’s Circle once and for all.

“Ciara,” Ziff said softly, “Are you okay?” I brushed him away; I didn’t need to be babied.

“I’m fine,” I sped up and walked in front of them. I reached into the backpack I had taken from Ziff and pulled out a map. I stared at the map. Maybe I should’ve paid attention during geography lessons. Ziff came up behind me and pointed at, what seemed to be, a random spot on the map.

“We’re right here,” he said, he moved his finger across the map. “Circe’s Circe headquarters is here,” he pointed at another spot.

“Right,” I shoved the map into his hand, “You can be in charge of the map.” I turned my head and looked behind me. Far in the horizon, I could barely make out Magzornia. I could see the tallest tower, where I spent most of my childhood. Smoke was coming out of the kitchen chimney. The cook was cooking; I could just smell the cookies she was always making. I quickly turned my head back around. Too many memories were flooding into my head; I needed to focus on the quest. We walked for a long time in silence.

Night fell and the stars came out. We stopped to set up camp. I dropped the tent back by Nichole’s feet.

“Set up the tent,” I told her. I turned to Ziff, “go hunt for some food.” I summoned some fallen twigs and set them on fire. While the fire burned I turned to help Nichole. The tent was barely out of the bag and was in a tangled mess.

“Sorry,” she said sheepishly, “I’ve never been camping before.” I bit back a retort and helped her put the tent up. Ziff came back with two squirrels. He took out his pocket knife and skinned them. I put their skins in the backpack for later use.

“What exactly are we doing?” Nichole asked as we ate. I shrugged, I wasn’t so sure myself.

“All we should concentrate on now is getting to the headquarters,” Ziff said, I nodded. “Do you want me to take first watch?” he asked me.

“No, it’s fine, I’ll do it.”

“What?” Nichole asked, confused.

“Ciara and I will take turns staying up and watching out for danger,” Ziff explained.

“Hey,” she said, “I can help too you know?”

“Nichole,” I said, trying not to sound rude, “you only have telekenisis and the closest object you can move is the tent.”

Nichole sighed, “Fine,” she said, “I’m off to bed.”

“There’s a small stream not too far from here,” Ziff said, “We could wash there.” I nodded. Nichole and I went to find the stream while Ziff looked after our stuff.

As we walked through the forest Nichole asked, “Okay, Ciara, what’s up?” I glanced at her.

“What do you mean?”

“You’ve been acting weird,” she answered, “the first time I met you, you were as cold as ice. Then you were really nice to me. Now you’re acting kind of distant. Are you mad at me or something?” Was I mad at her? That talk I had with my dad a few days ago brought back memories. No, I wasn’t mad at her, I was jealous. Jealous that my mom had chosen her instead of me, jealous that she didn’t have a whole ton load of responsibilities resting on her shoulders, jealous that she didn’t just betray her three best friends. “Well?” she asked impatiently. I shrugged.

“Nope,” I answered, “I’m not mad.”

“Well you sure act like it.” We reached the “steam,” it was a trickle of water. Leave it to Ziff to make me do more work. “Um,” Nichole said, “what are we going to do? He can’t expect us to bathe in that.”

“Step aside, sista, and watch the master do her work.” I moved to the earth to form a big tub and I pulled the water into the tub, so it filled up. I dipped a hand in there. “Okay,” I said, “It’s all good.”

“What took you so long?” Ziff complained as we came back to camp. I rolled my eyes.

“We’re girls; of course we’re going to take long,” I said, “Now you can go wash.” He literally ran there. Geesh, he was like a girl.

I felt something move in the distance behind the trees. “ZIFF,” I screamed, “WATCH OUT!” He spun around just as the attacker pounced on him. They fell to the ground. “Stay here,” I said to Nichole, “Throw anything you need if they come.” I ran to help Ziff. I summoned the wind and blew the attacker off Ziff. “Go to Nichole,” I told him, “Protect her.” Ziff changed into his battle form, a huge black wolf and ran to Nichole, who screamed. Of course, she threw my backpack at him.

“It’s just me,” Ziff said through his wolf form, it came out slightly muffled and disconnected. I turned around and faced the attacker. He was just getting onto his feet again.

“What do you want, Son of Circe?” I asked, “You are not welcomed here.” He pulled from the air a ball of black light. A photokenetic? Really? He threw it at me, which I easily deflected.

“Daughter of Hecate,” he said, “Do you really think you can beat me? I am of the High Council, my powers are great.”

“Yeah? Do you know who I am? I am her royal highness, Ciara Kasima Bellatrix Anais Magnificent, Princess of Magzornia, first heir to the throne.” I sent a ball of fire towards him. The light gave me a good look of his face, he was scared. Yes! Success! I was infamous as the bad ass princess who destroys anyone that crosses her path.

“Princess is it?” he sneered, the fear wiped clean off his face, “well you won’t be a princess when I’m done with you. You won’t even be here.” I laughed, I tended to laugh at moments like these. I made the grass wrap around his ankles and the tree vines hold his arms down.

“Now listen here, Son of Circe,” I advanced closer to him. I wasn’t afraid, he clearly was. “No one threatens the princess like that,” I raised my hand and he flinched. With an evil smile, I dropped my hand. The earth opened up and swallowed him whole.