The Calm Before the Storm

~ A MONTH LATER ~

STILES POV

A month after the trip I was still picking sand from my cast. Aside from that I could finally say honestly that I was happy. Luckily things just about went back to normal. Getting me to go to pack related things was still like pulling teeth, but none the less I went. Tonight was a pack bonding night, so unlike training Derek said it was important that I come. So you could say things were going pretty well for me, too well. But there's always a calm before the storm. I was on my way out the door when it opened from the other side and revealed my dad standing there.

"Hey kiddo!" he enveloped me in a tight bear hug

"Dad, what are you doing here?"

He sat me back down "I just felt so bad we haven't really talked in a long time so here I am"

Dad moved past me as I picked up his bag and followed him to the couch. I hadn't seen him in such a long time he looked a bit different. Actually he looked like he gained a few pounds and I scoffed to myself knowing he probably had been eating take-out every night since he's been in L.A. He plopped down on the couch taking in the sight of the house like he was seeing it for the first time.

After setting his bag down on the dining room table I moved to the kitchen pouring us both something to drink. When I turned to go back into the living room my phone buzzed from a text.

From Der: Where are you?

To Der: Something came up might not make it

From Der: Is everything okay

To Der: Yeah. My dad just popped back in town

From Der: Oh okay. I'll see you later?

To Der: Yeah

From Der: I Love you

To Der: Love you too

I slipped the phone back into my pocket. With both drinks in my hand I rounded the corner returning back to my father who had been sitting on the couch watching a football game.

"Well sit down talk to me" he patted the seat beside him "Aren't you happy to see me?" he asked

"Of course dad. I just don't know what to talk about"

"How's school been, and Scott, and your pack friends. I want to know everything"

I ran my sweaty palms down the sides of my jeans. I wasn't so sure he did. He knew about the supernatural word and thought it was better he stay out of it. I couldn't talk to him about the little self-harm predicament I was in a while ago. Then there was the little thing about my newfound relationship with Derek. I couldn't tell him for two reasons. One: Derek was a werewolf, and was previously wanted for murder and two: there was the little fact that I left out about being gay "Everything's still the same, things have been surprisingly calm. How long until you go back"

"I'm back for good. We closed the case" he smiled clapping his hands together

"That's great, really great" I swallowed hard. I guess it was easier to hide when he wasn't around. I knew he didn't suspect anything but sooner or later it would come out.

He put a hand on my shoulder "Are you sure you're okay? Is something wrong?"

"Well... I... Uh" It was now or never. He was in a particularly good mood, that was the only sign I could find to go on.

"Spit it out. You know you can tell me anything"

Okay then I thought " I'm actually glad to hear you say that. I wanted to tell you that I met someone a while ago and-"