Chapter Twelve: Lake Town

The next morning, everyone woke up, putting on their dry clothes. They realized they weren't alone in the area, and they looked up and saw a dark haired man dressed in a light brown coat, aiming his bow at the Company.  Great, that's all we need is to be delayed by a man, especially at the fact we're in a rush to get to the Mountain, Olivia thought. Balin began to speak to this man, named Bard, making a deal with him, that they will pay Bard to ferry them to Lake Town via boat.  "I hope you remember bringing the Drimenine!" whispered Elsie. Elsie hated boats, and she would get sea sick. "I bought eight packages. You're all set!" Olivia whispered back to Elsie. "Drimenine, what's that?" asked Bard. "Sea sick pills!" replied Olivia. "Oh." said Bard.  "What's a pill?" asked Oin. "Medication. I had to give Elsie a sea sick pill. She hates boats, and she gets sea sick easily!" Olivia explained to Oin. Oin nodded. After Bard agreed to allow the company to go Lake Town, it was Balin's idea to keep the Company's identity hidden. They didn't want the folk of Lake Town to know where they are going.

After climbing into the boat, Olivia sat with Thorin and Bilbo. Olivia had to wear white trousers that day, because it the only clean pair of pants she had left, when Bilbo took notice of a red stain."Olivia, you're bleeding!" exclaimed Bilbo softly. Even Thorin turned to me. "Why are you bleeding, Olivia?" asked Thorin. Olivia looked down. "Shit!" sworn Olivia.

Olivia's POV:

I felt so embarrassed when Thorin and Bilbo noticed the blood stain in my pants Bard began rowing the boat.  My face felt warm and turning red at the same time.  "You're not answering my question, Olivia. Why are you bleeding?" asked Thorin firmly. "That's none of your business! It's--it's somethinig that I go through every month! You really shouldn't ask!" I snapped at Thorin. It took Thorin by surprise when I snapped at him over something petty as a blood stain. But it worried him. I didn't want to tell him I'm on my period. Of all times I had to start was now.  I told myself Thorin eventually would need to know, because eventually if we did get married, he would HAVE to know.  "I'm sorry for snapping, Thorin--its just that every month I go through a cycle. Many women go through it. I can imagine your sister gets them too!" I said to Thorin. Thorin laughed. "Yes. I do recall every month my sister Dis would snap or yell at me for no reason at all! Then--not only that, she would break down crying!" said Thorin. "Well I'm having one of those so be warned Thorin, in case I get those kind of moods." I said. 

"Thank you for giving me the heads up!" said Thorin. "Thank you for understanding." I said smiling  at Thorin. "Do you think you should change your trousers. You don't want the others to see that." said Thorin. "And where in the hell I'm supposed to do that, Thorin? We're in a boat, for Pete's sake." I replied  "Oh." said Thorin.  Later, we arrived in the town, and a man greets Bard. Bard made us hide in barrels full of fish. I didn't like the sound of this because the fish stank like hell.  And I swore to myself I would never eat fish again, after this.  After we passed through, we made way to Bard's house. Bard looked at me and Elsie. Bard came up with the idea since Elsie and I could pass as his daughters, so he allowed us to enter the house. None of the townspeople would suspect that we're members of a band of dwarves. As for the others, Bard made them enter the house through the sewers, which means they had to climb out of a toilet.  I chuckled to myself. I'm so glad I didn't have to pee right now. Those poor dwarves and hobbit.

Bard's children, Sigrid, Tilda and Bain greeted us warmly.  And the daughters offered us bath and fresh clothing since Elsie and I both wore the same size clothing as Sigrid. Sidrid looked at my blood stained trousers. "Oh you poor thing. Its that time isn't it?" asked Sigrid. I shrugged and smiled. "Unfortuntely yes. It came at a really bad time." I said to Sigrid after climbing into the tub. "You cannot predict those things. I get them too. My poor father would pull his hair out at every little mood I go through." said Sigrid. I couldn't help but laugh at this. I can imagine Bard pulling his hair out, having a daughter going through PMS. But I could imagine her and Tilda having it at the same time?!  But enough of the female problems, I felt very happy to sit in a nice hot bath. I closed my eyes, soaking everything in.  After our baths, we put on these pretty dresses that Sigrid had loaned for us.  I have to admit, they weren't formal dresses, just your everyday casual dresses.