4- The Ambush

After fifteen minutes, I convince Constance to take me to Joan. I'm worried, to be honest. "Margaret, why are you so worried?" She asks me.

"I opened the window to let in air—it was really stuffy." It's easy to come up with a lie. It's easier to convince Constance. "I'm worried she'll take it the wrong way."

"Don't worry. I trust you." Constance replies. "I've known you forever."

"Thanks. I—

"Oh, no." Constance covers her mouth, and I turn the corner. "Oh, no."

"What? What is it?"

"Look." I look down to try to see what she was pointing at.

Virgil is laying on the ground, his eyes closed. "Is he asleep? Wait—no—he's breathing, right?!" Constance runs over to him. "He's breathing." She tries to stay calm, but her eyes are with fear and surprise.

This is too sudden.

I don't know what happened.

Did the Ghost get in through my open window?

I run over to the next turn in the hall. "Joan's over here!" I check for breathing, and then I shake her. "She's not waking up!"

"Virgil's awake!"

I run back to see Virgil sitting up against a wall, one of his arms braced against the floor. "She's here." Virgil chokes out. "The Ghost...she's still here. Get...is Joan okay? Is she okay?" His other arm is buried in his jacket pocket.

"You saw the Ghost?" Constance asks him.

"Yes...no...she—he had on a mask..." Virgil points at his mouth. "And he had a golden tooth." He tries to get up, but slumps back down. "Is Joan okay? She...I met her when she was coming back. She didn't find...anything, window-wise."

Window-wise...Virgil didn't know about the window.

And she didn't find the open window? Virgil must've closed it...but why would Virgil go out of his way to eliminate a suspect? If he was working for the Ghost, that would just make things harder on himself. And the Ghost wouldn't attack someone he was trying to promote...would he?

"Where did he run?"

"Is Joan okay?" Virgil asks again, his voice hoarse. "You didn't answer me."

"She's breathing."

"No! I need to see her...I need to get her—we need to get her to a doctor. She—the Ghost had a knife—she could be hurt!"

"I already checked on her."

"Go! I'll—I'll stay here...I'll come. I need to make sure...you could be lying to me." Virgil pushes himself to his feet again, lurching to the side.

Constance's eyebrows knit together in worry. "Virgil, is your other arm okay?"

"Don't worry about me, worry about Joan!" Virgil says, leaning against the wall with his free arm. Constance shakes her head.

"Not now!" She pulls off Virgil's jacket and cusses softly. "Virgil, your arm!"

"I said he had a knife, and I meant it! I'm fine—but more people won't be if a crazed thief is running around with a knife!" Virgil scowls. "We need to get Joan back into action!"

Constance nods. "I'll stay with you...Margaret, can you go warn the crew and check on Joan?"

I nod. "Bandage that cut."

"I will."

Reassured, I run down the hall and turn the corner. Joan is lying on the floor, her eyes wide. "Margaret?" She asks blankly.