I’d melted into the hug, enjoying the comfort that spread over me like a protective sheath. He’d started stroking my hair and then started to try and explain everything to me again. Prophecy. Prophecy. Prophecy. I had seriously had enough of that damn word.

        “Do you care about me or the damn Prophecy?” I’d asked, backing out of the Angel’s arms, hugging myself for substitute. Looking into his gorgeous blue eyes I could see the hurt and concern in them, but he sure as hell hadn’t been acting on it lately.

        “Of course I care about you.” Gabriel said honestly, earnestly. He’d reached out for me again but I retreated. I didn’t want the momentary security our bond granted me when we touched, because it gave me that false feeling of safety that I couldn’t afford to get used to or yearn for. Not now.

         “Then where have you been?” I’d asked, unable to stop the harsh tone in my voice or the anger that was rising in me. I’d run from home. I’d been alone for weeks with nothing but clown demons for uneasy company.

         Gabriel’s blue eyes grew somber with regret, as if he’d read my mind and felt horrid for leaving me. Good. “I have tried to tell you before, Faith Williams. I have been attempting to receive court with the Elders, so that your predicament may be discussed–”

         That was when I couldn’t take it anymore. “I can’t take this anymore!” I’d screamed at the Angel. Gabriel didn’t flinch at my shriek, just watched me through grave eyes. He’d reached for me, gently tugging me back to him, his voice remorseful,

       “Faith–”

       “NO!” I’d pushed away from Gabriel, and he didn’t fight me. Just let me go so I turned and ran. I’d been too angry to think clearly. To stressed out and freaked out to care that he was an Angel and he could catch me easily if he wanted to. I didn’t hear any pursuit, so I turned to look over my shoulder. Gabriel was still standing under the street lamp, watching me go. I could see how sad his eyes were.

        Annndd so, that is the event that has driven me to run and run. Away from Gabriel. Away from the demons. Away from the Prophecy, if freaking possible.

        My legs are starting to ache, and my lungs are beginning to burn. I slow down to a walk, breathing heavily. The park is dark and gloomy, full of thick trees with the low branches. There are no lights here, and the wind is chilly. I shove my hands into the front pocket of my sweatshirt and shiver as I walk.

        The tears had stopped falling a little bit ago, and were now drying on my cheeks and have matted my eyelashes. I rubbed my sleeve on my nose. God, I hate crying. As I walk along, my breathing goes back to normal, but I feel so tired. My backpack feels like it weights a ton, the straps biting into my shoulders. I shift it, though it doesn’t change the weight much.

         I step from the grass and onto a little bike trail, twisting through the trees. My mood worsens more when the anger and sick-of-it feeling drain away from me, forcing me to realize that I shouldn’t be angry with Gabriel. He’s only trying his best to help me. I shouldn’t have yelled at him like that. Maybe I can–

         There’s a slight shuffling sound behind me. I stop. The shuffling stops. My heart begins to make its pounding way up into my throat, and I have to force myself to look over my shoulder.

         Nothing. Just the dark bike trail and all the trees.

         I quickly turn away and start walking again, faster than before. Way to go Faith, I think, Now I’m scaring myself. The path takes a wide curve, swooping around a cluster of large oak trees. My footsteps sound incredibly loud on the thin paved path, and I try to slow myself.