Chapter 9: Guilty Strikes

Start from the beginning

Everything froze for me at the moment of realization. It was my turn. I swallowed a little nervously and held my kusarigama in my hand. 'It.. It's just training. No one is going to get hurt. Even if someone did, it would just be bruises.' I tell myself before charging forward. Splinter took stance, holding his walking stick in his hand. Like before in my previous battles, I kept the blade away from Splinter, using the chain end to swing at him instead. He purposely let his staff get wrapped up, pulling me in. I raised my kusarigama up high, ready to send a strike, but instead I stopped right where I was. 'No...' Seeing in my distracted state, he kicked me in my side and I stumbled.

"Isabella, you are hesitating on your attacks. Is there something troubling you?" I hear him ask in a stern but concerned tone. I couldn't help but think about what happened to that Mutant with the pain he had in his eyes, the innocent AI child with that echoing scream and that expression of terror as he fell into the incinerator, that Foot Ninja I- I had... and the fact that I nearly drowned twice. I.. I felt my grip loosen up and I began shaking at those memories. My vision grew blurry and before I could react, I felt tears run down my face. 'Not Splinter... Not my Sensei.. Not my father too... He doesn't deserve it.' I thought, dropping my weapon and hugging him tightly. "Hey... Lil' sis.. what's da matta?" I hear Raph asked in concern. His hand placed itself on my back. Right, I forgot that big bro gets concerned about his family, if not the most concerned out of all of us. "My daughter... kneel." Splinter commanded softly. I obeyed, kneeling down while still holding onto him.

"Now.. Will you tell us what's wrong?" I didn't want to say anything, fearing that it would only come out as a squeak. Instead, I looked to my weapon, looking away from it. The old rat lifted my head and I couldn't control any emotions I held in. "I see.. There is a guilt in your eyes that I have only seen on one other person.. I didn't expect to see this expression on you at all," He began and sighed softly.. "You... have done something awful, haven't you?" He asked. That's when I broke. Or at least that's when I think so.

You know that feeling you get when everything comes crashing down and it feels like you can't hold yourself up anymore? Where deep down it felt like you were suffocating and you were just keeping yourself busy to ignore those feelings? Yeah.. That's how I feel right now. I whimpered and felt the tears roll down my face uncontrollably, sobs escaping me. Splinter was quick to hold me close and I gripped hard on his yukata. I could feel the others eyes on me. 'They're pitying me.' I thought. 'I just know they are.'

"There, There.. Isabella.." The old grey rat spoke softly. I desperately wanted to bury my face into his neck fur but decided to go against that, feeling myself shake. "My child, please... calm down... breathe slowly.." I shook in his arms, trying to calm my thoughts down while fighting to breathe slower. "Shhh..." He hushed. I can see Mikey reaching out, trying to comfort me as well but Master Splinter looked sternly at him. "Michelangelo, I know you wish to help, but it is best if we do not push her." Mikey pulled away. "Oh.. Okay then."

"Leonardo, perhaps it is best if you prepare some tea. I wish to speak to Isabella alone in my quarters." Splinter told Leonardo. Leo did as he was instructed while Master Splinter and I went into his room, his tail sliding the door close. He and I sat down in our spots and it was at this point that I had to take off my mask at this point since it was getting soaked under my eyes. "Isabella, you may try to pull the wool over your brother's eyes, but you cannot fool this old rat. I've seen enough to know if one of my children is being troubled." Splinter began before asking, "Please.. Tell me what's the matter."
"I.. I don't know where to begin," I answered honestly, even if I did stutter. He sighed softly and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Start at the beginning." Right.. The beginning. 'I think...' "It started with the vision I had.. after we had settled in." I began. It was about time to tell him what I saw from that vision. I figured that if I had to deal with this, I was going to need help and I know Splinter was never the one to turn any of us down when we needed help. I learnt that a long, long time ago, but as Splinter would say, that's a story for another day.
-
(Third Person P.O.V)