The Superboys

There were two new students in my class. Both of them were boys and both of them were supers – super cool and super handsome. One with tanned skin named Videl (v – î – dêl) and the other one, with bright white skin named Thade (its Th- ā – dl, if you happened to have a hard time in pronouncing his name). They were not brothers, as they said during the self introduction, but they pretty much looked alike – wide jaw, thick eye brow, and black hair. They were equable and serene in the class.

            Ever since their arrival, there had been a storm going on in my class. The girls suddenly possessed by a new habit of searching diligently any numbers about Videth (they even made a special nick for those two boys), like their phone, cell phone, house, shoe, pants, birth date; Whatever about Videth had been a treasure demanded to be found.

The boys were divided into two sides, the surrenders and the strugglers’ side. The surrenders were the boys who consciously aware they had nothing in possession to ever win against Videth’s charm. The struggle ones were the boys who rather gamble their guts and abilities to compete against Videth’s enchanting look.

            Well, me and Bryan were neutrals. We didn’t reject nor ignore Videth. Even though we were both boys, we choose not to take part in any stupid twister about Videth in our class.

“Hei Bryan, what’s wrong with your hands?” I asked Bryan the moment I realized his fingers were swollen.

“Ow, its – its nothing,” Bryan was nervous, and our since-kindergarten friendship had taught me whenever Bryan was nervous, something bad had happened to him.

“They beat you up again, didn’t they?!”

“No, no, it was – “

“Bryan! You MUST tell Ms. Franie! This is OUTRAGEUS! Look at yourself, you‘re hurt!!”

“I’m fine Joe, I’m okay,”

UUGH! I had told Brian countless times to report those bullies to our teacher but he never did! They threatened, tortured and beat him harshly and nobody had ever done anything!

“Bry - !” My tongue froze suddenly when I stared at Bryan – the poor and weak best friend of mine. Everybody had been calling him freak and nerd for as long as I could remember. But I liked him. Bryan was actually very kind, smart, thoughtful and a fun person to be with. Too bad, I was the only one who felt it.

“I’m sorry to yell at you Bryan, I just – hate it if somebody - or anybody - hurting you,”

“Thanks Joe, I know, you’re good, always stood for me and beside me, and got beaten up also because of me,”

I smiled at him, but the sight of those bullies aroused my anger to the point I wished to chew them alive, if only I could! I wished super heroes did exist. I bet they could eat those bullies alive, haha..

            I stared at those big boys so intensively that I didn’t realize someone was looking intently at me. It was them, Videl and Thade, staring and smiling at me. They what?! I gazed at them strangely and smiled back, then left with Bryan.

            That night, I promised to have dinner in Bryan’s house, but he wasn’t there. His mom said that he hadn’t come back from school, but that should be impossible because Bryan went home from school with me! We were separated in the road a few blocks ahead from his house.

            I had a bad feeling about this.  I said good bye to Bryan’s mother who looked worried and ran to school. With all my heart I hoped I would found him somewhere on my way there, just standing, reading a book or eating hotdogs, fine and healthy, you know, staying in one piece.