Laius' death

6

Scribe: 21501161

I have recently come to learn the story of the previous ruler Laius and his death. Jocasta informed me of this story in attempt to comfort me after I was told of Tiresias’ prophecy. She explained that there are no truth in oracles and prophecies. I had no idea how one could think this but Laius’ death was her proof as to why. An oracle told Laius and Jocasta that their own son would kill him and marry her. As a result, they gave their son to a shepherd to leave on a hillside with pins in his ankles so the prophecy could be avoided. With the death of their son, and Laius being killed by a group of robbers at a crossroad after their sons death, she proved that the oracle was wrong.

Something about this story agitates me though; Jocasta mentioned that Laius was killed at an intersection in which three roads meet. My past before Thebes includes unfortunate events in which I killed a stranger at an intersection in which three roads met ..  this has me perplexed. I asked for a description of Laius and what she provided, it's a simple match to that of my memory. What if that man, that stranger, was Laius. What if I am that damned murderer for whom shall be banished from Thebes for comitting such a heinous crime. I could be the sole reason as to why there is a horrid plague polluting the city, causing death and ruin.