Chapter II: The Dragon's Tale Part 2

Hey I'm back! Sorry for the delay TT-TT PLEASE FORGIVE ME! I was supper busy with finals! But, I'm here and have a great chapter for you! Enjoy! Comment! Vote! Fan (us both)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

©All Rights Reserved 2012

Writen By: NinaCrisante

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Dragon and the Dagger 

It was a tale told to many,

It was a tale long forgotten,

It was something no one remembered, until they realized that they knew.

It was the tale of a boy,

It was the tale of a dragon

It was the tale of a curse, and the dreadful feeling that soon started…

-From the Tales of Dragon Mountain

~*~

Kristjan felt his heart beat slower as Goran finished his tale. He was almost certain the thumping in his chest was clearly audible to everyone. It was impossible…

“My friends, none of you have heard of this story. It was a story known only to three people, now known to you all. There is not one of us in here who does not know of the curse that plagues us. It is a curse imposed on us by ourselves, for in our selfishness, we have been punished. We can blame no one but ourselves.” Goran paused, looking at the cup of wine held in his hand. “We are in pain and in despair. We are losing hope, if it is not lost already. But we do nothing.”

“There is little we can do,” a man with dark hair suddenly said, stepping forward. Kristjan immediately recognized him as one of his father’s advisors. “What else can we do but wait? We have been given no choice but to die a wretched death.”

Kristjan saw the surprise and anguish in several of the people’s faces. In others, there was anger.

A sharp pain suddenly coursed through his chest, causing him to suppress a wince.

“Ambrus, there is truth in your words,” the king suddenly said, causing everyone to look his way. “But there is no hope. What we need is hope. Let Goran speak.”

The anger in Ambrus’s eyes was unmistakable. “Yes, your majesty,” he said through gritted teeth as he bowed.

Goran watched Ambrus out of the corner of his eye before continuing. “Thank you, your majesty,” he said softly. He looked directly at the king. “There is hope, as you no doubt now know, your majesty.”

The king’s eyes narrowed. An unspoken conversation seemed to pass between them. Finally, the king nodded.

“There is no certainty that we can break this curse.” Goran turned back to the Dragon people. “The Dark Side consumes us a little more each day. Each day, we lose a little bit of ourselves. But there exists something that can perhaps help us recover what humanity we have lost—the humanity that we are now losing. There is a relic that has been found. This relic contains a prophesy.”

Kristjan’s eyes flickered towards Goran, a clenching feeling spreading around his heart.

“According to this prophesy, we have only one year to break this curse. The prophesy speaks of a chosen one, one among us. The chosen one has until his twenty first birthday to save us. ” Goran’s eyes meet Kristjan’s, and Kristjan suddenly felt a feeling of dread come over him. “My friends, we have forgotten what day today really is. A thousand years ago, one of our kings triumphed over our enemies on this day. We were revered creatures, but despised for the beasts we were, and we were cursed. Fifty years ago, our present king came to the throne on this very day.” Goran’s gaze rested on the king, who returned the steady gaze. Goran’s eyes suddenly slipped to Kristjan. “On this day, a young dragon was also given to us. It was on this day eighteen years ago that our prince was born.”