⁂⁂⁂  

two years had passed and taehyung was still left in the dark, unknowing of the little deal his mother had arranged with king jeon, just as the queen planned to. the king had been frequently visiting the castle at least twice a year to deepen the connection between his kingdom and the other. the man had been enjoying all of his visits and now could be laughing at ease whenever the queen was present even in the most boring conversation they indulged themselves into. however, prince jeongguk, who always came along with his father still disagreed with the arrangement, disappearing as soon as they arrived to the garden doing unknown things to escape the disappointment stares his father would throw at him.

the little prince now had grown to be such a handsome gentleman, with jet black hair, dark and intense orbs that stared intelligently, strong and sharp jaws, and body twice as sturdy and strong of it was normally supposed to be. he would be such a waste to be paired with taehyung, the queen thought, as taehyung's beauty shouldn't be compared to what was way above it. if the queen didn't have the eyes for the king, she might have fallen for the prince's charm for he to be older and matured one.

the little tantrums the prince threw concerning the arrangement had been noticed also by his father. his worries had grown gradually as time passed, completely smitten by his son and always wanted the best for him. so one day, he had come to visit the queen's kingdom again with an unsettled expression as he settled down in the usual seat he had claimed to be his since the first visit in the castle's dining room, only to break the news of breaking up the arrangement.

the queen was blinded by rage upon hearing the king's request, for her evil plan to have the man for herself was to be ruined like this. she decided that she no longer wanted the king in her sight, ushering the man out of the castle. she was so mad that she secretly laced the drink of the poor man into a sooner death. and she wished for it to be the last time the queen would be seeing the jeon family.

   ⁂⁂⁂ 

"you have been so upset since you arrived this morning, why is that?" taehyung asked forlornly.

jeongguk who had been staring on the blue sky, turned to see a distressed taehyung and let out a sigh. "my father had been very sick since last year, and had been bedridden by now. i am just so worried of him." he got up from his lying position on the grass to watch a bird as it rose higher and higher and at last disappeared behind trees.

taehyung had always been sensitive to the topic as such, unconsciously shedding a lone tear whilst looking sympathetically on his friend. "that is so terrible! how terribly you must've felt!" he mused as he hugged jeongguk eloquently.

"it is," replied jeongguk emphatically, hugging taehyung back tightly. they stayed like that for a while, basking with the sweetness of each other's presence to cure the pain and loneliness inside their hearts when suddenly taehyung jumped from jeongguk's grasp to shout excitedly how he could have something to make jeongguk happy and ran ahead towards the small hill.

jeongguk gazed at him, speechless with the upcoming surprise. he hesitated at first, for he could not believe that taehyung meant it seriously yet chose to follow the ashy snow colour haired boy. he went on and followed him. the ruts were very disagreeable to walk on, but presently he led him through a hole in the hedge and they got into a field. there was no path, but taehyung walked away up to it and jeongguk went after him. there was another hedge at the top, and a stile in it, and they climbed over. when they got to the other side, taehyung leaned against the post and gave a wave with his right hand and said, "this is my secret place."