Chapter 14: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"Well, where's your sister?" Molly asked fiercely, thinking Charlie had left her at the Burrow with Arthur.

Picking up on her concern, he said, "I made sure Dad was gone. He didn't think it was fair for everyone to have to leave because of him, so he said for you to move back in and that you wouldn't have to worry about him coming around. Also, he said to tell you that he didn't mean anything he said last night and that it was wrong for him to say those things."

Molly wasn't sure what to think of this last statement. No longer could she believe anything her husband said. How could she discern if this was said out of honesty or because he wanted to get back in her good graces? Arthur could have done everything that morning just to get her to forgive him without meaning a word.

Noticing his mother's facial expression change as she contemplated this Charlie said, "I have no doubt he was being sincere." Molly nodded, still not entirely certain. "Are you ready to go home?" he asked.

His mother nodded again, hating how he called it 'home'. The Burrow would never be home without Arthur there. But he hadn't been there in weeks, though, had he? Not the Arthur she always knew.

oOoOo

Once they arrived back at the Burrow, Molly ascended the stairs to her bedroom. A feeling of deja vu overcame her as soon as she opened the door. The scene was similar to that of two weeks ago, but this time the closet was completely empty, seeing as she had packed all of her clothes the night before also.

Closing the door behind her, she made her way to the bed and set her bag down. With a flick of her wand, everything in her bag was sent flying to its proper place. Another flick, and the drawers and closet door closed. Molly sighed exasperatedly when one of the closet doors didn't completely shut. She walked over to investigate.

She tried pushing it together, but it still wouldn't close. Opening the door, she looked up at one of the hinges and made her way down the others. There was nothing wrong. Then she looked at the floor to find one of Arthur's button-up shirts lying in a heap. He must have dropped it this morning, Molly thought as she picked it up and began putting it on a hanger in his side of the closet. She wasn't going to throw it out. She couldn't. That shirt was the last thing she had of Arthur until he sorted himself out...Well, if he ever got himself sorted out which, if he did, it would take a long time, and even longer for her to trust him again.

There wasn't time to pursue thoughts and questions that rushed through Molly's head as she had to make lunch for the inhabitants of the Burrow. She hadn't seen any of the kids since she had gotten back.

"Oh, there you two are. I was about to send someone to find you," Molly said as she glanced up from the sandwiches she was making to see Ginny and Harry entering through the back door.

Harry stopped in the kitchen to speak with Mrs. Weasley. Ginny, however, paid her mother no attention.

"How are you, Mrs. Weasley?" Harry inquired softly.

Mrs. Weasley gave a sad smile and replied, "I think I'll make it. How is Ginny?"

"Oh. Um. She's just a bit upset is all," Harry partially lied.

Ginny made it up the stairs to George's closed bedroom door. Not even bothering to knock, she walked straight in and sat next to him on his bed.

George was taken aback by his sister's abrupt entrance. "Ginny?"

"What?" she asked nonchalantly.

"Um. What are you doing?" George asked curiously.

"Checking on you."