9||If I Ain't Got Santa Fe

"Y/n?"

She looks up, her eyes puffy and bloodshot. "Jack!?" She gets up and runs to him. They stand their hugging for a few moments before she pulls back and asks, "Where's Crutchie?" Jack just looks at his feet. "No." Her hand shoots up to her mouth. "No, no, no. This can be happening."

"Y/n, please, calm down." Jack says, moving closer to his girlfriend.

"Calm down? Calm down!?" Y/n shouts. "You're telling me to calm down? We promised Crutchie that nothing bad would happen to him. That everything would turn out right and then we would go to Santa Fe, together. How the bloody hell are we supposed to do that if he's locked up in the damn refuge?!"

"Y/n please?" Jack says trying to comfort her.

"No. Just... leave me alone." She says and runs off.

Jack stands their, ashamed that he couldn't help her.

"Jack," Davey says coming up behind Jack. "Something tells me that everything that just happened was more than just Crutchie."

"What the hell could it be about?" Jack asks turning around.

"Katherine."

"What about her?"

"You have payed her more attention than y/n. Its almost as if she's jealous and afraid of losing... well.. you." Davey says.

"But she isn't losing me."

"That's not what it looks like." Davey looks over to see his brother falling asleep on some crates. "Look I gotta get Les home but... go find her and talk to her. I'll see you tomorrow."

Davey picks up his brother and starts home. Jack takes off running in the direction y/n went. "Y/n!" Jack runs through the streets of New York. "Where are you?" Then he gets an idea and runs off.

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Y/n runs into the storage area of the vaudeville theater. She quickly runs in and runs into a stack of boxes crying.

Meanwhile Jack climbs up to his penthouse. He quickly realizes that y/n isn't their and breaks down. They both start breathing heavily as they move about their location.

Jack gets mad and stomps on on the fire escape.

Y/n pushes over a box. Her hands move to her head and run through her hair.

[Y/N]
Folks, we finally got a headline
"Newsies crushed as Bulls attack"
Crutchie's calling me,
Dumb crips just too damn slow

Y/n leans against some boxes and slides down. Her knees moving towards her chest. She hugs her knees and puts her head down and sobs rack through her body.

[JACK]
Guys are fightin', bleedin', fallin'
Thanks to good ole' captain Jack
Captain Jack just wants to close his eyes

"and go!" Jack shouts out into the night. He drops to his knees crying. Suddenly the two newsies look up.

[JACK & Y/N]
Let me go
Far away
Somewhere they wont never find me,
And tomorrow wont remind me of today

[JACK]
And the city's finally sleepin'
And the moon looks old and grey
I get on a train thats bound for Santa Fe

Y/m walks around the room screaming and crying, pulling her hair out of the once perfect bun that she had created.

[Y/N]
And I'm gone
And I'm done
No more running, no more lying
No more fat old men denying me my pay

[JACK]
Just a moon so big and yellow,
It turns night right into day
Dreams come true,

Jack stands at the edge of the penthouse, y/n has since made her way out to the balcony on the back side of the Bowery. They both stand looking out to their own view of New York.

[Y/N]
Yeah they do

[JACK & Y/N]
In Santa Fe

[JACK]
Where does it say you gotta live and die here?

Jack walk across the penthouse and begins to climb down.

[Y/N]
Where does it say a gal can't catch a break?

Y/n walks down the stair of the fire escape and quickly reaches the street.

[JACK]
Why should you only take what you're given?

[Y/N]
Why should you spend your whole life living

Both set out walking through the streets of New York.

[JACK & Y/N]
Trapped where there ain't no future
Even at seventeen
Breaking your back for someone else's sake
If the life don't seen to suite ya,
How 'bout a change of scene?
Far from the lousy headlines,
And the deadlines in between
Santa Fe!

[JACK]
My old friend

[Y/N]
I cant spend my whole life dreaming
Though I know thats all I seem inclined to do

[JACK]
I ain't getting any younger
And I wanna start brand new
I need space, and fresh air

Jack takes off in a full sprint but suddenly stops when he sees whose running towards him.

[Y/N]
Let them laugh in my face
I don't care
Save my place

Y/n stops running and sees Jack across the street.

[JACK]
I'll be there

[Y/N]
Just be real is all I'm askin'

[JACK]
Not some paintin' in my head
Cause I'm dead if I can't count on you today

Jack reaches up and pulls his cap off.

[JACK & Y/N]
I got nothing if I ain't got Santa Fe!

They stand there before y/n begins to run. "I can't do this." She runs faster and gets back to the Bowery. She runs backstage and runs into Medda.

"Now honey, where are you going in such a hurry? Is Snyder on your trail?" Medda asks holding the girl still.

"It's complicated Miss Medda."

"Well nothing is too complicated for me. Sit child and tell me everything." Medda says pulling y/n over to a nearby box to sit on. Y/n begins to explain everything. When she finish Medda speaks up. "Sounds to me like you need to get away for a little bit. How about you stay here for the night then go stay with that Brooklyn boy for awhile then when you manage to calm down and come up with a plan come back to Manhattan and I'll help you sort out this whole mess with Jack, okay sweetheart?"

"Thanks Medda." y/n says hugging her. "But Maybe after the strike. I'm not abandoning these boys."

"Of course. And anything for you child, anything at all." Medda says and hugs her.