The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Prologue, Chapter 8

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

------------------------------

The Fire Triangle - A Zootopia Fanfiction

Prologue - Escape From Zoo York

----------------------------

Chapter 8 - Conclusion

Conor Lewis pressed his paw to the airplane window, not wanting to miss a thing; he was like a fox-pup gazing through candy-store display case for the very first time. Far below, Zootopia's downtown district sparkled in the light of the new morning; so different from the place he'd left behind, so fresh, so new...and so clean, every skyscraper seemed a work of art, every color seemed bright and vibrant.

And look there...a waterfall, cascading through a green zone between the buildings. If the young silver fox hadn't seen it for himself, he'd never have believed it; grubby old Zoo York was never like this, (not the parts of it he'd known anyway.)

A soft hiss of static came over the P.A. as the lead attendant took the microphone again.

"Ladies and Gentlemammals, we will be landing at Zootopia International Airport in about 30 minutes. According to the latest weather report, clear weather is expected for the next 48 hours in the greater Zootopia Metro Area; the airport temperature is 56 degrees furenheit with light and variable winds. Now, the plane is descending; please fasten your seatbelts and return your tray tables to their upright positions. Thank you."

Having already complied with these instructions, Conor continued to gaze out the window.

But then the intercom crackled to life once more. This time it was the Captain on the air, speaking to the passengers in a laid-back drawl.

"Good morning everybody—and welcome to Zootopia. On behalf of Furgin Airways, I'd like to think you for flyin' with us...well, except for the fox that is."

"WHAT?!" If it hadn't been for the safety belt, Conor would have been have been halfway out of his seat.

"Just kidding," The captain added quickly, "I'm a coyote myself, matter of fact...and now don't everybody go rushing for the emergency exits at once."

"Don't you quit your day-job," someone heckled from near the back of the cabin.

Conor recognized the voice; it was the woodchuck again, the one who'd refused to sit next to him earlier.

"Prolly doesn't like coyotes any more than foxes," he mused to himself. '(Yotes' were also a species that other mammals tended to write off as shifty and untrustworthy.)

Meanwhile the Captain was saying, "As we circle on final approach for landing, we'll be turning on the overhead cameras to give everybody a bird's eye view of the City of Zootopia."

Conor turned in his seat just as the monitor screen in front of him flashed to life, showing an overhead view of someplace called Outback Island, (according to the caption, in the lower left corner)

The resolution was nothing short of breathtaking; he could clearly see the residents below moving about their morning routines. Some were walking but most of them were hopping. As the young fox watched in fascination, a bevy of kangaroos crossed a busy thoroughfare by simply leaping over it in a single bound. The next thing he saw was a pair of koalas, enjoying an early breakfast in a treetop café called the Spreading Eucalyptus.