How To Do an Emergency Dismount

Is it safer to fall off or do an emergency dismount? It will depend on the situation. Sometimes things happen so suddenly you don’t have a choice. Some experts claim doing an emergency dismount might cause more problems than falling off. But if your horse bolts, you can't stop and you're headed for traffic, a half open door or other dangerous situation you might be safer if you can get out of the saddle and off the horse quickly.

Difficulty: Average

Time Required: Varies

Here's How:

Note: Not all riders are skilled enough to do an emergency dismount, and this dismount may not be effective in all situations. Whether you decide to do an emergency dismount or stay with the horse there will always be some risk of injury.

Take your feet out of the stirrups. This is essential.

Drop the reins.

Put both hands on the horse's withers or low on the horse's neck.

Swing your legs forwards, then back as you lean on your hands.

Using your horse’s neck or withers as a pivot point, vault off swinging one leg over the horse as if dismounting (but with much more energy) and push away from your horse.

Land on your feet, and bend your knees to absorb the shock of landing.

Tips:

Some people hang on to the reins during emergency dismounts. However, if you lose your balance you might pull the horse towards you and get stepped on.

Practice emergency dismounts at a stand still, a walk and then a trot.

While practicing you could tie the reins up out of the way so you don't accidentally pull on the horse's mouth or the horse doesn't accidentally step through them when you are dismounted.

What You Need

A safe area such as a riding ring or arena with good footing.

A calm horse.

Your instructor or other knowledgeable person.

A helmet and safe boots or stirrups.