Either way, he wasn't able to describe his feelings with words out loud.

"It's almost lunch time already, and from what I just saw downstairs we won't definitely starve in here" Aldo chuckled, the kitchen had been like hit by a hurricane when he had got the drinks.

"That's good" Dan said, his eyes again on his book.

"They, uh, Trina said the others are coming back for lunch, if that's alright."

"Of course."

"Is it?"

"Is it what?" Dan looked up again to his brother.

"Alright?"

"Of course it is, who am I to say if they can come back to their own home or not?"

"But don't you think this all is too...soon?"

"It's not like anything will happen with them, and I just feel like it's finally time to take steps forward. I don't know yet completely how and what I feel, but as I said, today I want to make dad and mum proud. And I would appreciate your support and encouragement, not holding back."

"Of course I'll support you, bro" Aldo hurried to say, before he would think anything else of him. "And we'll go by your rules and pace, so that's that. Just remember, you can take a break or a step back anytime, just tell me."

"I will" Dan said and smiled a little.

He was so lucky, having a brother and best friend like him.

* * * * *

There was some casual talking and lunch preparing in the Meguyer's big kitchen.

The rest of the family had just returned home, and Niall had come to tell the brothers only a minute ago the lunch was almost ready so they could take their time and come down when Dan was ready.

Aldo had told on behalf of his brother that he would be coming too, at least try. Niall's happy and encouraging smile reassured Dan and he believed things could work out okay.

Dan didn't still understand himself, why he was so anxious when he and Aldo were in the hallway upstairs. He knew these were friends.

His fear of people had gone to extremes, his parents had tried to help him, but now he was determined to fix things. His parents were enough of a motivation.

If he just had known, he would have forced himself to do this sooner, when they were actually alive to see, but it was too late now.

He pushed back that thought for now, he couldn't cry at this moment. This was the best he could do.

"We'll come back if it's too much, just nudge my arm again or whatever to tell me" Aldo said with the best encouraging smile he could give.

Dan nodded, and then slowly followed him down the stairs, which at some points creaked. He winced at that, being jumpy as it is, but took one step after the other.

The voices in the kitchen began to get quieter because the creaking gave up their coming, and Dan's nerves hit the roof like a rocket.

He knew all attention would be on him and his brother, especially him. He was the new one, only Niall and his mum had met him until.

As he had guessed with dread, all eyes were directed at him and Aldo when they reached downstairs and came into view. They had been waiting for him, and however they tried not to act too obvious, they failed.

Dan stayed behind his brother, fiddling with the ends of his hoody sleeves fighting back his urge to just back away and lock himself in their room.