So That Means I Can't Have A Hug

Start from the beginning

Jake smiles. "Yeah, I know."

* *
*
* *

I help Carter into his bed as Lauren gently lays him down. "I'm so happy you're home, Carter. I was so terrified." She kisses his forehead and squeezes his hand. "I'm going to go get your medication right now. No more skipping, young man. Do you understand?"

I stifle a laugh and turn away from Carter's red face. "Okay, Lauren now go."

She smiles and hugs me gently before leaving.

"She surely knows how to embarrass a person." Carter says as he moves so he's siting upright.

I smile and sit on the side of his bed. "Yeah but she loves you, that's what counts."

He wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me down towards him. "I'm sorry for putting you through hell, Jessica. I shouldn't have been so stupid and stormed off like that."

I frown. "It's not your fault. It was me and Jake's fault. Don't be sorry for something you didn't do."

"It wasn't your guys fault. I was the one who didn't take my medication like I should have." He says a bit irritated. "And I was also the one who came to your house and started up a screaming match and then left with a temper higher than the Eiffel Tower. It was my fault, not yours."

"You wouldn't have had a temper higher than the Eiffel Tower if it weren't for me and Jake. Don't blame yourself -"

"It wasn't your fucking fault!" He shouts angrily. "So don't say it was!"

I flinch and look away, not daring to say another word. Staring down at my hands, I can't help but wonder why he suddenly got so angry. If he thinks it's his fault, then he can think that, but he has to know I think otherwise.

Looking out the window, I say, "I should probably go home."

"Yeah, you probably should."

His words catch me by surprise, mainly because I don't understand why he's acting so different all of a sudden.

I grab my phone off if his nightstand and walk out of his room. I bump into Lauren on the way downstairs. "Where are you going?" She asks as she holds Carter's medication in her hands.

"Home."

"Why? I thought you were staying for a while?" She quizzes.

"I did too. I'll see you later."

Walking out the front door, I glance up at Carter's window and frown. He just got back from the hospital and I was more than excited to spend the day with him so why was he so angry. I start walking home u hear the front door open and Ethan shout my name.

I turn back around as he runs my way. "Why are you leaving?"

"I don't know? I'm just going -"

"He's being mean, isn't he?" Ethan cuts in.

I frown. "How did you know?"

"The medication he takes, they doubled it causing him to have mood swings, sort of a personality change kind of thing. A man period of you will."

"Man period?" I say.

"Yeah. I promise you they will go away after his body adjusts to the medicine and he'll be the happy go lucky boy all over again "

*
*
*

"You're getting a tattoo?" Dad says raising an eyebrow as I sit at the dinner table with Amber and Garret.