2

Chapter 2 (Edited: 2019)

It was eerily quiet when you walked into the guild. The normal, roaring chatter had been muffled. All  the tables were in tact, meaning no fights had broken out today. You headed towards the bar and took a seat. 

"What's wrong with everyone Mira? It's like someone died." You spoke to your white haired friend.

"Everyone is on edge, because of mating season and all," She looked up from the glass she was drying. "Gramps locked up Natsu-san this morning. It went smoothly, so that's a good sign!"

"That makes sense. Is there any updates on his mate?" You asked, hoping what Gajeel said the day before had changed. Your hands were clasped tightly on you lap.

"We still don't know yet, but be prepared for anything. There's a chance he could hurt us or his mate." Mira looked at you with a worried expression. You could tell Mira worried about Lissana's safety, especially since she had just returned.

"Don't worry 'bout me Mira-San!" You jabbed your thumb into your chest and smiled triumphantly,"I can take that hot head any day!"

She let out a small laugh, the worry dissipating from her face, "I know you can. Just be safe (f/n).

"I'm not his mate, but I will protect whoever it is. I swear it." You had a big toothy grin spread across your face. Mira smiled, and excused herself to go get a drink for another guild member.

You got up from your seat, and started to search for Gramps. You found him hiding behind a big brown barrel next to Cana. He and Cana were drinking up a storm. 

"Hey gramps!" You called. His tiny head poked out from behind the barrel. It almost looked like he had a floating head. 

"What is it (f/n)?" He slurred, obviously drunk.

"Can I check on Natsu? Pleaseee." You begged, hoping that he would agree just to shut you up. He paused and thought about it for a moment. 

After what seemed like forever, he finally answered, "He's secured by Freed's runes, so you should be fine. Don't do anything reckless (f/n)." He paused to take another drink before speaking again, "He's in my office, go ahead."

You ran off before Gramps could change his mind. All eyes were on you as you strutted into the room where Natsu was confined. You opened the door slowly, peeking in to see what Natsu was doing. He was sitting on the wood floor, legs crossed. He looked at you, and then to the rune wall. A low growl escaped his lips. His eyes appeared fogged over, and he looked annoyed at his predicament.

"Hey flame brain!" You smiled and brushed your (h/c) out of your face, "How are you holding up? You look pretty awful. No offense."

He proceeded to ignore you. His eyes pierced through  your soul. You noticed that his fists were clenched tightly, turning his knuckles as white as Lissanas hair.

"So, do you want to tell me who your mate is? It will make this whole process easier." You pressed him for information. Your heart pounded, you were hoping he would say your name. Instead, he said nothing. A distressed huff escaped your lips.

The door to gramps's office suddenly swung open. Gray stepped in and closed the door behind him. "How's he doing? he asked, glancing over at Natsu.

"I don't know. He won't answer me." you sighed. Gray tapped on the rune to try to get Natsu's attention. He continued to stare at you, his gaze unwavering. 

"Hey, barf bag! Yo look at me!" Gray insulted. Suddenly his face twisted into a devious grin. "Fight me (f/n)."

"Huh? Why?" you looked at him like he had lost his mind. 

"You know how he likes a good fight, maybe it'll cheer him up!" He laughed, "Plus, we both know I'm the superior ice mage. If you're too scared we don't have to." He was baiting you. 

It sounded like a stupid Idea to you, but you wouldn't refuse a chance to put Gray in his place.

"Fine, but you can't get mad when I kick your ass." You grumbled and positioned yourself in a fighting stance. 

"Let's stick to hand-to-hand combat. We don't wanna' destroy gramps's office. He'll kill us!" Gray chuckled and put his fists up. You nodded in agreement. 

You made the first advance and kicked his leg out from under him. His face lit up in shock. He lost his balance and hit the ground with a thump.

 "You could at least try." You mocked him. This would be easy.

"That was a cheap shot!" He got up and lunged at you. He threw a punch. You managed to dodge, his fist only grazing your cheek. You through a fist in return, hitting him in the jaw. Your hit knocked him a few feet back. You brought your foot up, aiming a kick at his face. He grabbed your foot before it hit. He twisted your leg, causing you to fall to the floor. He smiled and opened his mouth to say something, most likely a comment about his superiority, but you tripped him before he could get the words out. He started to fall, and he landed right on top of you. His face inches away from yours. 

A loud growl sounded from the runes. For the first time in the last five minutes you noticed Natsu's presence. He was furious. Flames engulfed his body in seconds. The power radiating off of his body was larger than anything you'd ever felt before. Your stomach twisted in fear and confusion. A dangerous aura surrounded him, foreign to your dear friend Natsu. Even when his power had been released on enemies, it hadn't appeared so deadly. He edged closer and closer to the wall of the rune. He brought his fist back, and aimed a fiery punch at the rune, causing the entire building to shake on its foundation. 

"I will kill you Gray! No one touches my mate!" Natsu growled. He was out for blood. 

Holy fucking shit. You were in deep trouble.

Please vote, comment, and follow me!