Bai Min

They were angry. No, they were furious. Chuioke could feel their wrath from his camp at the outskirts of the valley where the mountains faced the forest. He wasn't even within sight of their territory, but their rage and loss filled the air as far as here. It buzzed in his ears and cut at his concentration. And he needed to concentrate. If he didn't get this right, all of his efforts so far were for nothing. He couldn't afford to lose now — he was too close.

The buzz grew louder and more singular. One of them was approaching. She moved fast, and Chuioke wasn't quite ready, but he hurriedly hid his work. It couldn't rise while she was here, or everything would be ruined.

How had they known he was here?

Somehow they always knew, and even the great King Horos' men had yet to find out how. Chuioke was certain that had made the recent tragedy all the more infuriating.

The buzz turned into a rapid beating, like the air had a heartbeat, and before long, it sounded like the rapid pulse of wings, and not powerful, feathered wings like his friend Sparrow had. These were thin and papery, yet strong, and Chuioke knew he wouldn't have a chance to get past the stinger to even think of grounding the scout who was on her way to him. He unsheathed his fire knife.

The scout didn't so much burst from the forest as she faded out of it. The sound of her wings was the only thing Chuioke could hear. She landed deftly, her stinger poised to strike. Her wings beat slowly, though she was on the ground.

She glared at Chuioke. "What are you doing here, human? Did you come to gloat? It will be the last thing you do."

Chuioke lowered himself into a fighting stance as slowly as he could. There was no need to start a battle, but he couldn't leave himself unprotected. "I'm outside of your territory. You have no right to do anything to me here."

The scout scowled. "You are outside, but only just. Anyone with sense would have left if only to save his life. You know what happened here."

It wasn't a question, and Chuioke didn't answer. Everyone on the continent knew what had happened. The smoke could be seen for hundreds of miles.

The scout continued. "Only a fool would stay. A fool or a monster coming to see our sorrow. Which are you?"

Chuioke shrugged. "Neither."

"Then leave." The scout pointed to the mountains. "Leave here and tell your people never to return. If we so much as smell your kind here again—"

"I'm afraid I can't leave yet," Chuioke admitted, "You see, I do have a purpose in being here, though it's neither of those you mentioned."

The scout cocked her head to one side. "What purpose?"

"I wish to speak to Bai Min."

The scout was quick with her answer. "You are speaking to us."

"The queen Bai Min, then."

The scout Bai Min scoffed. "We would never let you near the queen. You are all monsters. How do we know you aren't here to finish the job?"

"You'd have to trust me." Chuioke winced as soon as he finished the sentence. As soon as it escaped his lips, he knew it wasn't wise.

"Trust you?" The scout tensed, and her voice was bitter with barely concealed rage. "Trust you like we trusted you with..." She choked out the next few words in a whisper. "Hundreds of children? No, human, I'd sooner kill you."

But she didn't attack. Instead, she turned to leave. Her wings began to beat. Chuioke had to act fast.

He rushed forward. "I'm sorry!"