Chapter Forty Eight

Start from the beginning

"She's a friend Frank, just a friend" She whispered. I could see the rage in his eyes, he was fuming. I couldn't even speak, I was defenceless. 

"I've never seen this friend before" He steps towards me, pushing Elsie onto the bed next to us. His breathe smelled of whiskey as he brought his face closer to mine. 

"She travelled...to see me" Elsie looked at me, almost begging to go along with her story. 

"Well?" He glared. 

"Yeah, I, I came here to see her" I gulped. "I was early" 

"Early?" He laughed. "Well you can't be here. Leave" 

"Frank, please. Let her stay just for a little while, just to-" Elsie's brave words were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Who the fuck is that now?! What are you doing? Inviting the whole fucking neighbourhood to tea?" His harsh words make me flinch as he bounds towards the door.

"Does Elsie live here?" His voice made me heart beater faster then I thought possible. How the hell did he find this place?

"Who wants to know?" Frank hissed. He would be towering over Ross right now.

"She know's my....friend. I think she might be here"

"Blonde? In a wheelchair?"

"Yes, that's her"

"She was just leaving" I could tell he was smiling by the sound of his voice, it becomes louder as he walks towards the room. Elsie still stayed sat on the bed. This strong women I'd met a couple of weeks ago was no where to be seen now.

"Edie?" Ross was now visible, dressed in black jeans and a grey sweatshirt.

"Get her out of here, me and my girlfriend need to have a little chat" Frank's eyes never left Elsie. She sat there, small and weak in front of him. I'm not witnessing what she must have to deal with everyday and today it's my fault that she will have to deal with this awful, vicious man.

Suddenly my wheelchair was pushed out of the bedroom and forcefully rolled out of Elsie's apartment, Ross not far behind me.

"And if I catch you here again, it won't be just Elsie who I will need to have a word with" And with that he slammed the door in our faces.

"What the hell are you even doing in a place like this?" Ross hisses, pushing me out of the apartment building. Once Ross has moved s around the corner I quickly pull on the brakes of the chair and stop us both. 

"We can't just leave her there Ross" I turn around as best I can to get a good view of his face but I couldn't rotate my body enough. He notices my struggle and walks around and crouches down in front of me.

"We can't" He sighs. "You heard what that guy said"

"So we'll just leave her there with him? Ross she's not safe there!" I try and turn myself around but he grabs my hands and brings them to his lips. I flinch at the contact but he doesn't let them go. 

"You have her number, call her later and if she needs help we will help okay?" I felt like I was being treated like a child but in a way it made me feel safe. I'd been alone for the past couple of weeks and suddenly Ross was back in front of me. 

"Why are you here?" 

"What?"

"Why are you here? You left me on my own in that hospital. You just stopped coming to see me. Everyone did" My voice cracked and I mentally slapped myself for breaking down in front of him. Showing him what he'd done to me, how he made me feel.