Wakey-Wakey

Ch. 10

The first thing I apprehended when I woke up was that someone was patting my cheek, none too kindly. I was lying on something soft and warm. An incessant sound prevented me from falling back into the blackness I had just emerged from.

   "Hey! Hey, wake up, damn it!"

   "No, leave me alone..." I tried curling up into the soft warmth, but moving my head resulted in pain exploding behind my eyes. I groaned, feeling nauseous.

   "Stop moving around, idiot, and open your eyes." I slowly pried my eyes open. At first everything was blurry. I blinked several times in succession before the shadow looming over me took the form of a guy. More specifically, Jake.

   "The fuck? What're you doing here?" My voice was hoarse, like I had just woken up from sleep. I tried moving again when I saw that I had my head in Jake's lap, but the pain was back.

   "I said, don't move." he grumbled, putting his hands on my shoulders, preventing me from sitting up, "You might have a concussion."

   Concussion? Why would I- Oh. Right. What happened?

   I looked around in the darkness, it must've gone dark while I was out, and saw a big lump in the grass, not that far from us. It wasn't moving except for the slow rise and fall of its breaths.

   "Why're you here?" I said, carefully poking at my head until I felt a big, warm bump near my hairline. I felt him tense up before he moved his hands under my shoulders and started pushing me up. I sat up but waited for the dizziness to subside before I cautiously stood up, but I was still not fully recovered and wasn't expecting my knees to buckle under my weight. But before I hit the ground, strong hands caught me around the chest and heaved my arm over a shoulder, supporting my weight. I glanced at Jake surreptitiously.

   "You didn't answer my question." He just glared and started dragging me away.

   "Shut up and walk." he ordered, but I was damned if I was going to back down.

   "Why're you always so grumpy? It's like your bed doesn't have a right side for you to wake up on." His jaw tensed and he ground his teeth. I was surprised he hadn't already ditched me.

   "There's nothing wrong with my bed."

   "Then maybe it's what's in the bed that's the problem, or maybe lack of." I trailed off. He snapped his head towards me, being so close our noses almost bumped, and gave me an incredulous look before it turned to annoyance.

   "Do you know how fucking annoying you are? And can you for once in your pathetic life just. Shut. Up." I decided not to push it anymore, he was after all the only help I had to get home.

   "Whatever, Grumpy." He just huffed, like he was fed up with a little kid.

   We walked home, it took us a while along with some struggle, bickering and strained silence, but we eventually arrived at my apartment.

   I leaned on the wall beside the door while digging through my bag for my keys. Jake stood opposite of me with his hands in his pockets, gazing out. It irked me that he didn't tell me why he was helping me, or why he was at the park in the first place.

   I opened the door and stepped inside. I was about to turn around and thank him before he left, but he had stepped inside after me and was looking at me like he was waiting for me to move on.

   "Make yourself at home." I muttered and went into the living room, laying down on the couch and closing my eyes, intending to rest for a while. I shuddered when I felt a presence leaning over me, breath fanning over my face. I peeked one eye open and saw Jake leaning over me, one arm on the armrest beside my head and the other on the other side of me on the back of the couch.