Chapter 2- Barmaid Dresses

Start from the beginning

"Oh, you are hilarious. Did you work hard on that little speech?" I chuckled, taking another mouthful of the beer. This time, I gulped it down, before it threatened to erupt from my mouth again. It warmed my insides pleasurably.

She rolled her eyes and turned back to care for other orders with much less...enthusiasm, leaving me to snigger to myself.

Not so proud of your femininity now, are you?

"Lynn!" a hearty voice boomed, inviting as always.

A short, rounded man pushed his way past Zella, outstretching his arms to embrace me.

No matter how many times I'd caused him trouble, Nathaniel Appleby always treated me like family. I stood up and reached over the counter, accepting the slightly uncomfortable embrace.

"What are you doing upsetting my workers?" he asked gruffly, as I sat back on the stool.

"Upsetting?" I repeated innocently, though amusement could clearly be heard in my voice, "I was merely offering dear Zella some of my old clothes, since hers seem to be shrinking."

Nat's eyes twinkled. "Don't be so mischievous," he scolded, laying a hand on Zella's shoulder. "This fine young lady brings me a lot of income. Without her, half of our customers would be gone."

She smiled up at him, as though he'd just complimented her when he'd just admitted she was only there to deepen his pockets.

"That's a criminal means of income," I said, defending her despite myself. Or maybe I just wanted to tease Nat. "Taking advantage of a woman just to weasel out more money from your friends. Criminal."

Nat laughed and opened his mouth to retort before another voice interrupted.

"We are the criminals? Lynn, I never knew you were also a hypocrite," it said.

"Hey!" I defended myself, frowning at the blonde haired boy who'd interrupted our nice conversation.

"Why, hello," he replied, blue eyes twinkling.

I rolled my eyes at his 'clever' response. Nat did the same, but it was probably at our usual bickering.

"Well, I'll be leaving you. Keep the customers refilled Lucas," he said, then he looked at me before adding, "And do it in the least criminal way you can."

I chuckled at the charming wink he threw me.

"Oh, I think your forgetting something Nat," I sang.

I held up a wired loop of keys, jingling it.

His eyes widened in realisation, before he waggled his finger at me. He took the keys and stuffed them into the pouch on his apron.

The move seemed rehearsed, as though he had done it so many times before...

"Even half drunk, her fingers are as fast as a jack rabbit," he commented to Lucas and Zella, although both continued to busy around the small area. They were more than used to the constant tricks I pulled on Nat, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were bored by now.

"I'm not half drunk!" I argued, and then realised my voice sounded louder than intended. Well, it was a long day, so I deserved to wind down a little.

"Sure poppet," he said, waddling away as he called out: "Keep an eye on her Luke."

This made me chuckle again. Lucas couldn't keep an eye on me even if he tried, I thought, watching as he busily served his fathers customers. He was becoming more a man by the day.

I fished around in my pockets, gathering my hoard for the day and laying it on the table.

One flat golden ring.