Absolute Love?

Billie Joe's POV

The night was still and calm. Tre and I sat on the steps of his house in silence. Tre stared at the evening sky. He seemed lost in thought. After what felt like hours, Tre took my hand and turned to me, careful not to break eye contact.

"This is love." He said.

"Is it?" I asked, anxiety starting to overwhelm me.

"Absolutely," Tre Responded. "If I had to say what love is, it would be this moment with you, right now. Love."

"It's just, it just that sounds so..." I began to stutter.

"It's true isn't it?" Tre asked, beaming.

"It sounds absolute." I admitted.

"Well, it is. It's absolute love, don't you think?"

"No!" I yelled suddenly, pulling my hand out of his.

"No?" Tre said, completely stunned and horrified.

"I just, I don't feel that." I said, feeling sudden panic.

"Well, that's obvious." Tre said looking away from me for the first time.

"I don't know how I feel!" Billie cried.

"About love?" He asked.

"No, not love like.... well like this." I said sadly.

Tre stared, completely horrified. He stood up off the steps and began to pace.

"Billie." Tre said softly.

"All I've ever done is given you all that I am. I gave you my heart which terrified me because I had to trust that you wouldn't destroy it. What we have is something I've always wanted. We have absolute love."

I stood up and took Tre's hands in mine.

"And this love?" I asked, suddenly feeling elements of hope.

"Yes. Yes absolutely." Tre said, as he leaned his face closer to mine.

I wanted it. I wanted to feel his lips on mine so badly, but suddenly I snapped back into reality.

"No. No I can't do this anymore. I have to go. I have to try to be on my own now!" I said, backing away. I began to walk down the driveway, when I felt Tre grab my arm and turn me around.

"Do you think there's something else out there for you?" Tre said in complete panic.

"I don't know, somewhere!"

"And if there isn't?" He asked desperately.

"Than..." I paused. Not knowing entirely what to say.

As I looked into his blue eyes, I put a hand softly on his cheek and pulled his face in close. His tears were starting to fall. The whole world seemed to come crashing down. Tre had made me want to live more than anything, but now I just wanted to leave this world.

"We'll always have this."