Late Lunch

Finishing my delivery took longer than I had hoped, once I got to the location the door man was giving me trouble and wouldn't let me inside the building with my bike but didn't want me to leave it down stairs locked up outside the entrance. Shaking my head what is up with people and their dislike of bicycles. It was time for lunch and I was starving, I was slowly peddling down the street when I saw what appeared to be Isis crossing the street. Too bad the streets were so loud cause I tried calling out to her, so after that I decided to go catch up with her.

For the walk ways to be so busy I was surprised at how easily she flowed through the crowds. Watching this woman in any setting is just entrancing, like watching a dancer perform on opening night. I was so lost in my thoughts then suddenly....

*Car horn blares

"Hey dickhead!! Watch where the fuck you ride that piece of shit!!"

Throwing up my hand in apology I quickly get out of the street, I look up to find Isis in the crowd and just my luck I've lost her. So, I pick up my bike and carry it on my shoulder as I walk down the sidewalk looking in the windows of the few restaurants on the block.

"Bingo" I say with a grin as I see her walking behind a waitress to a booth in this small café

Thankfully the place was bike rider friendly with a bike rack out front, securing my bike I make my way inside.

"Good afternoon sir, how many are in your party?" ask the concierge

"Actually, I just saw a friend of mine come in here and would like to surprise her please" I say quietly

The concierge laughs to herself and waves me through. I take the long way around to sneak up on her without being noticed. Just my luck the place was partially empty only about 4 or 5 people were here majority of them sitting at the center bar conversing about something on the television. I'm within arm's reach of her shoulder...

"Boo!" I say grabbing her

Isis jumps up so fast; screams, turns and smacks me right across the cheek with an open hand. This shocked me so I stepped back and just looked at her as I see she's really frightened until she noticed who I was. She looks at me and then around the café as everyone is watching her and me now.

"I'm sorry" she says, grabbing her purse and heading for the entrance

Still shocked I come to my sense right as she exits, and I run after her. Rushing out into the crowd I look both ways until I see her speed walking away to the left. Forgetting my bike, I dart after her while screaming her name. Finally, I catch up to her and get in front of her this time.

"Hey, wait... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you like that" I say looking down at her top of her head because she's looking at her feet. "Isis, are you okay?"

She has me worried a little now because I've never pictured this woman to look so vulnerable until this moment, but when she finally looked up into my eyes the very fact that she was as human as me was undeniable.

"Xavier" she says through a trembling crying induced voice as she rushes against my chest and just breaks down.

Not saying anything I let her cry and just wrap her in my arms putting my head on top of hers. My thoughts were wondering if I had scared her this badly but my gut was telling me it was something much deeper than that. Time was lost in this moment, so I finally decided to say something...

"Isis, what happened? You can talk to me..."

She stops crying and only sniffles with her forehead against my chest, wiping her eyes she finally looks up at me again.

"Not here, let's go back to my office she says" still looking as though she was ready to break down once again

I nod in silence, she grips my arm and we walk back towards the hospital. I've imagined walking around with her like this once before but under better circumstances. This had to be something serious for her to be like this... and whatever it was I didn't like how it made her feel.

$#