California Dreamin'

A hazy fog filled the dark bedroom, lit by the screens of smartphones, and the forty inch flat screen, connected to a Spotify playlist titled For the Love of Music. Three bodies lay a sweaty, giggly mess on the king sized mattress, another girl sat on the floor beside the bed, a rugged guy at the desk chair, and another man leaning against the door. The smell of marijuana slowed their movement, and mind twisting effects of cocaine fogged their minds. One girl on the bed lay on her back, short, platinum blonde hair clinging to her sweaty face, and her uneven breaths hot against the chest of the man lying beside her. The man shifted, sliding a cool hand across her bare, toned stomach. All the color flushed from her skin, the smell of vodka leaving her red lips. The man leaned over her, pale blue eyes piercing down at her, a cool grin on his pale lips.

"Letha, you are sexy," he cooed, licking his lips repulsively.

"Get off of me, Derry. It's too hot in here," Letha moaned, her raspy voice straining to escape her dry lips. "Can y'all leave now?"

"You're such a fucking buzzkill, Letha," Dee groaned from his seat at the desk.

"I'm a buzzkill?" Letha snapped, sitting up to glare at Dee. "I'm the one fucking providing the buzz. Now that it's wearing off, it's time to go."

"Whatever. Let's go, guys."

"See you tomorrow?" Derry asked, kissing Letha's cheek gently.

"Sure. See yea."

Derry and the others slithered out the door, into the dark hallway. Letha crawled off her stiff mattress, and leaned against her bedroom door frame, watching as the high twenty-something year olds walked out through her front door, disappearing into the mysterious Thursday night. Derry stopped, and glanced over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of a teary-eyed Letha, before she locked herself back into her room. His light eyes blinked slowly, as he let out a long sigh, and shut the door behind him.

The house was silent, except for the heavy breaths leaving Letha's lips, black streaks smearing her vibrant lipstick. Unexplainable tears rolled down her high cheekbones, her mascara making dark rings below her large, almond shaped eyes. The silent TV screen reflected the emotionless gaze on her oval face. Her full lips parted, a sob escaping, breaking the growing silence. She pulled in her long, toned legs, to her chest, and cried. This Thursday was just as the rest. Eat. Sleep. Wake up. Drink. Take a hit. Eat again. Sex. More drugs. Then cry. These nights are always concluded with tears, which Letha has yet to explain to anyone. Her emotions build up more and more, with every passing day. With every hit, and drink. With every wasted minute, the hollow feeling in her grows. She's noticed the glint in her blue-grey eyes fading, but ignores the reason why. Ignores the bruises on her arms from so many needles. Ignores the smell of alcohol on her breath, and marijuana on her clothes. Ignores the calls from her mother, and the texts from her best friend.

The buzz of her cellphone forced her to sit up. The screen lit up, and vibrated across her desk, until it fell to the ground. Letha wiped at her makeup smeared cheeks, and lay on her stomach, reaching over the edge of her bed, long, delicate fingers dangling over her phone. She grasped the still buzzing device, and rolled on her back, glaring up at the screen. She stared at the screen for two minutes, tempted to toss the phone aside, and ignore it like usual. Three missed calls from Mother, and five texts from Pierson. Hesitantly, Letha unlocked her phone, and opened the texts:

Where are you? We were supposed to meet up at the mall. 3hrs ago

Letha? If you don't want to hang out, it's fine. Just let me know. 3hrs ago

Shit, it's Thursday. Well, ttyl. Don't get into trouble. 2hrs ago

Who's there? Derry shouldn't be there. He's bad news. 1hr ago