Chapter Five

Ok. That really just happened. I really just made out with Jack. I can't believe it. Partly because I only met him 10 hours ago but mostly because I've never kissed a guy before. And wow. He just gave me something that no guy will ever be able to top.

I was shaken from my thoughts when I heard the soft footsteps of a nurse, inching her way closer to Jack, myself and Jack's mom.

"Good news. Lilia is awake! All three of you can go in and see her if you'd like."

Jack turned to me; his face lit up as he took my hand into his.

"That would be lovely." Jack's mom said.

With that, we followed the nurse to Lilia's room.

Walking in, I had no idea what to expect. I'm not good with blood or sickness or anything that falls into that category so this whole hospital environment was making me feel a little dizzy. However, I wanted to see Lilia. I wanted to see if she was okay.

"Jack? Maddie? Mom!" Lilia exclaimed with a slight weakness to her voice as we walked into her room.

Her lips quickly formed a big smile as she caught sight of me; my eyes brimmed with tears of both happiness and relief.

"I can't believe you guys are here!" She said, embracing us all one by one in a hug which I can only describe to you as pure and utter bliss. Bliss from the comfort of knowing my best friend was alive and well.

"Lilia I'm so sorry this happened. It was our first day of freshman year! Our first day back after Summer. This was never supposed to happen..." I trailed off, my happy tears now turning into tears of sadness.

"Shh, shh it's ok. I'm ok. I'll be out of here soon enough and we can continue our freshman year as though none of this ever happened, and we'll make it an epic year!" Lilia beamed. I wiped away my tears and let out a small laugh due to my emotions being a little incoherent; I couldn't control my reactions.

Then I found myself watching as Lilia talked to Jack and her mom, re assuring them just like she had re assured me. Which is ironic, when you think about it, because we should be the ones re assuring her. Lilia is probably one of the most selfless people I have ever met. Probably the most selfless person I have ever met.

"Mom, Jack, do you mind if I have a few minutes alone with Maddie? I'll have her come out to get you when we're done... I just need to talk to her about something." Lilia said.

"Sure honey, we'll go grab you some snacks from the vending machine down the hall while you guys catch up." Her mom replied with a warm tone.

Lilia watched closely as the door slowly shut behind them and that's when she began.

"Maddie whatever the police officers or the hospital have told you, it's all a lie." Lilia said.

"Lilia, what are you talking-"

"The guy who knocked me over. He wasn't drink driving. He targeted me, Maddie. I only saw him for a second before I blacked out. But I knew him instantly." Lilia said with a stern expression.

"Who is he?" I asked with a burning curiosity and a need for answers aching from within my stomach.

"Look there's a lot you don't know about my family. A lot your mom probably hasn't told you. But our parents wanted us to be friends for a reason. We need each other..." Lilia said taking a breath, "We need each other because we're being hunted."