Chapter Two

As I walked through the halls trying to find my locker, I quickly learnt that I needed to find a group. Everybody was stood by the lockers in their little cliques: the popular girls, the jocks, the nerds....

I don't fit into any of that. I don't like to categorise myself as just one type. I can be popular, I can be sporty, I can be clever, I can be weird and crazy. Maybe I should stay away from the cliques, for a while at least, until I find myself.

I eventually found my locker and as I began to open it, another girl that looked about my age walked up to her locker which was next to mine.

"Dammit," She said as she struggled to open it. I figured I may as well offer my help, I mean, people would have helped me if I'd been in that situation, right?

"Here, let me help," I said as I turned to face her. She looked at me with confusion at first, but soon smiled once I opened her locker.

"Thank you." She said.

"That's ok, is it your first day here too?" I asked.

"Yeah, you?" She said.

"Yeah," I replied, "what's your name?"

"Lilia," She said with a shy smile.

"Woah that's a pretty name. I don't know anybody called Lilia... Well, I do now." I said with a small smile. Lilia smiled back.

"Wait..." Lilia started, "you're Maddie, aren't you?"

I stared at her blankly, unsure of how she knew that. I've never met this girl in my life and I'm pretty sure she's not one of my 550 followers on instagram.

"How did you-" I started.

"I'm Jack's sister. My mom told me to look out for you, she said I needed to-"

"Socialise with new people? Yeah my mom told me to do that too," I said.

We both laughed at our similar humour. Lilia seems like such a nice person, but how come I never knew about her? My mom never told me about her and although I saw Jack sometimes at my previous school, I had never seen Lilia.

"So how come we've never met? I know Jack because he's always been at the same schools as me, we've just never really talked." I said.

"You probably didn't know who I was because I never went to the same schools that Jack did. And he liked to pretend that he didn't have a sister. He used to say that the Jonas Brothers were his brothers, you know, because that made him the coolest 10 year old in his grade."

He's always been immature, I thought to myself as I started laughing at Lilia's comment, but I think that's why I'm falling for him.

"What's your first class?" Lilia asked me.

"Chemistry with Mr Barnes," I said as I read my schedule.

"No way me too!" Lilia exclaimed.

"Well at least neither of us are going to be the awkward kids with no lab partner. Let's sit together!" I said with excitement.

And with that, we walked hand in hand to Chemistry, the first class we would ever take together. The first hour we would ever spent together. The first time I knew I had found my best friend.

However, little did I know that friendship would turn my life upside down. Who knew that making one friendship with somebody could send me into a whirlwind of confusion, depression; and anxiety. Nobody knew. Nobody could have predicted the events that took place that very same day. And nobody, could have stopped it.