Chapter Fifteen:Court

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: COURT

"Caroline, stop twitching." Aubrey's voice was obviously irritated and it wasn't difficult to understand why. For the past ten minutes Caroline had been unable to stay still. At Aubrey's loud whisper, she stopped tapping her feet, absentmindedly beginning to twiddle her thumbs instead.

The past week had passed far too quickly for Caroline's liking and before she'd even been able to acknowledge it, she'd wound up in court, perched nervously on the edge of her chair.

"Drake was trying to keep me out of it, but he did nothing wrong." Drew finished his statement and after receiving no obvious dismissal, slipped out of his seat hesitantly a moment later. The court began to whisper and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't make out a word of what they were saying.

"Those lines are gonna be permanent if you don't stop frowning." Aubrey added, in a failed attempt to lighten the mood. Caroline's lips twitched into an appreciative smile, but no more than that. The court's decision would be final and there was nothing Caroline could do but hope.

The judge banged his gavel down and the noise stopped suddenly. A singular voice within the jury began to speak and Caroline felt her Dad's body stiffen beside her. As strange as it was to admit it, none of them wanted to see Drake get thrown into prison.

"The jury have made it's decision. The accused has been charged as not guilty."

Drake couldn't stop a smile breaking out on his face and glancing up to the stands, he was glad to see that Caroline couldn't either.

 * * *

The moment Drake was dismissed, Caroline let out the breath she hadn't even realised she'd been holding and exited the building as calmly as she could with Aubrey and her father, jiggling her body nervously as they waited for Drake to exit the building.

When he finally did, Caroline acted on impulse and ran towards him, jumping up and wrapping her legs around his hips, squeezing him tightly as if to confirm he was actually there. Drake chuckled, his chest rumbling beneath her and she blushed as he set her down on the ground lightly, but firmly.

 Suddenly realising what she'd done, Caroline glanced towards her Dad and smiled sheepishly, shrugging her shoulders.

 He looked between the two of them for a moment, unsure whether he was happy with the two of them or not. Finally, he returned the shrug. As hard as it was to admit it, his little girl was old enough to make her own choices, be them good or bad.

"Well he's not a dealer so I guess it's okay." He smiled slightly at his own attempt to lighten the mood and Caroline cringed slightly but had the decency to pretend she was slightly amused.

 "Eurghh, surely a courthouse can afford nicer toilets." Aubrey complained as she exited the building.

"And those seats were just so uncomfortable." She raised her arms above her head, rolling her head back and Caroline watched in amusement as Drew's eyes widened in shock at the seductive pose.

Curious as to what Caroline was so amused by, Aubrey followed her gaze and smirked at Drew.

"No way kid."

Drake chuckled beside Caroline and entwined their fingers hesitantly.

"Does this mean you'll be able to move out now?" She asked curiously as he rubbed circles into the back of her hand lightly with his thumb.

"You sound very eager to get rid of me." Drake commented amusedly, taking great pleasure in the way Caroline's eyes widened as she began to shake her head.

"I'll visit." He added before she could speak and turned to the sheriff apologetically,

"If that's alright with the chief."

Caroline's dad nodded reluctantly and after a moment, quickly added,

"The door stays open."

Caroline and Drake laughed but nodded and continued to walk slightly ahead of the rest of them, talking quietly.

 Drake glanced back at the courthouse, glad that it was all behind him and slightly shocked that Caroline was the reason for that.

"Thank you." He turned his head to her slightly, only now able to fully realise how much she'd done for him. Meeting his gaze, Caroline smiled, but said nothing.

She didn't really need to.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Okay, so this is it. Over. Done. Finito. What do you guys think? I know it's short especially for a last chapter but I really don't think I could embellish it any more...

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, and the book. Comment or inbox with any improvements I beg of you.

- Lena