Chapter Twelve: Regretting revelations

CHAPTER TWELVE: REGRETTING REVELATIONS

Despite the fact that Caroline had forgiven him, Drake couldn't seem to bring himself to tell her the real reason he'd taken her to the building. She hadn't questioned it and since she'd already missed the beginning of history at this point, he miraculously had been able to persuade her to stay with him during the rest of that period.

They'd returned to school after a long conversation, since Drake knew there was no way he'd be able to persuade her otherwise. There had been muttered rumours once again upon their arrival but since Drake seemed not to have a problem with it, Caroline kept her mouth shut as she had done earlier in the week.

The day passed almost too quickly and Caroline had slipped onto Drake's bike without hesitation, her voice taking on a shy note as she requested a lift again for the next morning.

In fact, everything had appeared to be perfect, until they arrived home. Caroline's dad was waiting in the doorway for them, his arms crossed stiffly across his chest and his expression grim.

Drake felt Caroline wince slightly behind him, presumably thinking it was linked to her ditching that morning. Unfortunately, by the way her father was looking only at him, Drake had worse ideas of what they were about to be told.

"I have bad news I'm afraid." The sheriff announced as they walked to the door and Caroline glanced at Drake worriedly.

"Your case has been reviewed." His face was grim as he looked at Drake.

"You've been charged as guilty."

Drake heard Caroline's sharp intake of breath, but blocked out her following yells of protest. His imagination zoomed into overdrive, constructing an image of him in an orange jumpsuit, eyed up and evaluated by his fellow prison mates, all of whom were older and tougher than him.

"Drake you have to tell them all the truth." Caroline's hissed whisper tore him from his thoughts and he shook his head firmly, gritting his teeth before turning and storming up the stairs.

Caroline watched him go, a large lump forming in her throat at the slam of his door.

"The truth, Caroline?" Her father repeated curiously and she winced, torn between betraying Drake's trust and letting him make the worst decision of his life.

"Dad, I don't know what Drake said in his statement to the police, but I know it wasn't the truth." With this sentence, her choice became clear. She knew her father was an honest man and that there was no way he'd let anything happen to an innocent person if he could help it.

"I'm assuming you know about his mother's death." She began, her voice shaking slightly as in immense feeling of guilt swept over her, threatening to swallow her whole.

"Well after that, his dad started getting into drugs." He nodded slightly and Caroline moved swiftly on to the part of the story that mattered.

"Drake's younger brother somehow became involved and Drake was only trying to protect him. He never did anything wrong."

The sheriff pondered over the story for a moment or two. It seemed perfectly plausible and he'd never believed Drake was guilty. In fact, the thing about the ordeal that rendered him so curious was how Caroline had come to know this version of events.

It had been impossible not to notice how close Caroline and Drake were quickly becoming and although he wasn't necessarily happy his little girl was growing up, in most ways he supported it.

At least now he knew that Drake cared enough about his daughter to tell her the truth.

* * *

 Soon after slamming his door behind him, Drake realised that perhaps Caroline was right. He didn't want his brother to be involved, but he certainly didn't want to go to prison. Perhaps there was a happy medium.

Heading across the landing, he jogged back down the stairs, his shoeless feet making barely any noise on the carpet. He was about to enter the living room when he heard Caroline say his name and he paused, his hand hovering just above the door handle.

 "Drake was only trying to protect him. He never did anything wrong."

Despite the fact that he'd been about to reveal the truth, or part of it anyway, Drake was overwhelmed by a sudden feeling of anger. Was Caroline incapable of keeping things to herself?

"Caroline?" He asked quietly through gritted teeth, pushing the door open gently. Caroline turned to him in the doorway, her eyes immediately giving away the guilt she was so desperately trying to hide.

"I'll leave." Her father offered willingly before Caroline could say a word and she smiled gratefully at him as he pushed past Drake. His footsteps could be heard as he eagerly hurried up the stairs and neither Caroline nor Drake spoke until he was out of hearing range.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Did you not hear me say that I never wanted to get my brother involved?" Drake yelled, his voice much louder and deeper than usual and Caroline took a step backwards.

"I'm sorry but you really expected me to just stand by while they shoved you in prison? You are innocent Drake and now they can know that too."

Her voice broke slightly towards the end and she took a deep breath, her sudden burst of anger fading.

Unfortunately, it appeared Drake's had not and he narrowed his eyes, his nose turned up slightly in disgust as he replied.

"Is your nose just too damn big to keep out of other people's business?"

Caroline was too shocked by the harshness of his words to reply and after a moment, he simply shook his head once again and stormed from the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

So their made-up phase didn't last very long guys. Shame 'bout that :(

Anyone else thinking that Drake's being a little douchy right now? I mean, I totally get his reasons but I'm totally on Caroline's side in this argument.

So tell me what you guys think and let me know if I can improve anywhere...

Enjoy...

- Lena