A Not-So-Great Beginning

I decided to go back home.  But I wasn't sure if I could call it my home. I grew up there. It's the only place where I knew I could start over. Even when I had no choice when my childhood was horrible even before I was sent to the orphanage. Thanks to my so-called grandma. Still,  I had no choice but to go back home. I had no one there. I have a house there. In fact, it's my grandma's. She left it to me since she had no other living kin.  I finally called Miss Angela and asked her for a job. Okay, I groveled, more like. After hesitating, she finally agreed to let me teach at my old high school, which also happens to be the first high school I ever taught in where she is the Principal. But I was kinda dreading it. I had to revisit the past, which I really hate.

I stepped off the bus and looked around me. The bus station looked the same. Not so busy.  Still,  it felt strange to be back.  I haven't been back ever since I graduated high school. It wasn't something that I thought I would do. I didn't really have such good memories here.

Everything I owned were in the two suitcases behind me. I had to sell my car to pay for the repairs that I might have to make on the apartment. Hopefully it won't be too expensive so I could have some money left to start over. And the severance pay that I got was not that much. But I knew I had to make it work.

I looked around to see if there's a bus to my not-so-new apartment.  I dragged my suitcases to the bus stop and stood there,  waiting for the bus.  I peered at the bus lists and decided which one to take. After a few minutes,  my bus came and I struggled to carry my bags into the bus. There were grumbles from other passengers, but I managed to get into the bus in one piece along with my luggage. 

After almost half an hour,  I saw the familiar street where I grew up. It looked a little drabby,  but pretty clean,  considering it was not the good part of town.  I alighted from the bus, carrying my suitcases.  Just as I stepped off the bus,  I was pushed rather violently forward that I almost fell on my face. I quickly put my arms forward against the lamp post to stop myself from smacking my face on the asphalt. I heard a rushed 'sorry' and the sounds of footsteps running away from the area. Feeling very pissed off,  I looked up and saw a blond guy running into the apartment building in a rush. I didn't see his face very well,  but I cursed a little under my breath. Then,  sighing tiredly,  I dragged my bags up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment.

The apartment building looked a little decrepit, but still in a good condition.  The air smelt of some cheap air freshener,  which is better than smelling old,  dead things. I climbed up the stairs as I panted like crazy. Goodness,  I need to start exercising. My stamina's gone kaput since I hit the big 30. I'm a size 12, not too big but it would be nice to be slim and small.  Then I might have the chance to actually go out and meet someone.

I stood in front of the door and fished around for the keys in my bag. When I finally got the room opened,  I cringed at the dusty apartment. I sighed as I went into the apartment gingerly.  The air was musty and stuffy. I walked into the apartment and felt a twinge at the slightly familiar air. 

I looked around and sighed at the amount of work that I had to do to make this place liveable. I put all my luggage on the floor and decided to go down the road to a hardware store and get some things to clean the apartment with.

At the store I got all the cleaning stuff and household items that I might need. It was a struggle to bring everything from the store to the apartment. Just as I reached the entrance of the building, I saw the door of the elevator suddenly open.  Quickly, I rushed to the elevator. Just as I was about to reach it, somebody rushed into the elevator, bumping into me roughly as he did so, and the elevator door closed in my face. I could almost see the poker face of the idiot inside the elevator. I groaned in frustration. Seriously?!