TEN

NOT A DATE

NOT A DATE

While both Jughead and Sylvia talked on their way to Pop Tate's diner the real conversation didn't begin until Rudy Hawkins, in his little paper boat hat and apron, sat their milkshakes and burgers down in front of them.

"So what kind of music do you listen to?" Sylvia wondered, opening a laminated menue.

Jughead pressed his lips together and shrugged, "Probably mid-80s early-90s rock," not what Sylvia was expecting, she assumed Jughead listened to 'Alternative music' like screamo, "You?"

"Pop, and musicals," Sylvia answered automatically. Jughead's eyebrows shot up. "You listen to Taylor Swift and show tunes?" Sylvia felt her cheeks heat up, 

"Yeah, got a problem with it Jones?" She asked in a faux menacing tone. Jughead snorted, he held his hands up in an 'I surrender' sort of position and smiled at her, "No, no problem." He shut his menue and placed it on the tabletop. Sylvia did the same; truthfully she wasnt sure why she even bothered to look over it she'd already knew what she wanted ocming into Pop's.

"So you've lived in this town your whole life?" Jughead nodded.

"Yeah," he said, his eyes followed two of the football team memebers who walked past their table, "You said you lived in Arizona?"

"Yup."

"What was that like?" Jughead wondered. 

"Hot." Jughead rolled his eyes. He leaned foward aginst the edge of the table and Sylvia leaned back in the booth; the edges of her lips twitched upwards.

"That's no what I meant," Jughead said. Sylvia opened her mouth only to be cut off by a gum chewing Susanna Dalton walking over to their table.

"Hey Sylvia," the older girl smiled with a wad of pale pink gum between her teeth. Slyvia bobbed her head up and down at her moms coworker.

"Hey Sue."

"You two know what you wanna order?" She asked. Susanna was a  twenty three year old bottle blonde who always chewed gum.

Both Jughead anf Sylvia nodded.

"Can I get a rare burger extra onions no pickles and waffle fries?" Sylvia asked. Suanna nodded and jotted that down.

"Anything to drink?"

"Coke, please." Susanna poped a bubble and turned to Jughead.

"Can I get a strawberry milkshake and a bacon burger extra ketchup and curly fries?"

"How do you want the buger?"

"Medium rare," Jughead said. Susanna nodded and pocketed her notepad and walked off towards the kicthen.

It was quite for a second as Sylvia remembered what she wanted to say.

"Yeah anyway Arizona was nice. Dry heat and all. Nothing like here," the freshman said truthfully. Arizona wather was nothing like Riverdale; Riverdale was humid in the summer and Snowmiser cold in the winter.

"What about your childhood?" Jughead asked. Sylvia's body paused.

"What?" Her eyebrows came together. "Why do you wanna know about my childhood?" Jughead shrugged, both his eyebrows were raised.

"I'm just trying to figure you out," Jughead said.

"Tell me about yours and I'll tell you about mine," Sylvia said with a tight, less friendlt smile on her face. Her heart thumped loudly in her chest.

"Normal," Jughead answered.

"Same," Sylvia shot back. Susanna placed Jugheads milkshake amd Sylvoas coke in front of them; she didn't bat a makeup covered eye at the rising tension.

"Your food will be out shortly," she told them before walking back towards the counter.

Unlike the last time Susanna had walked away the since that followed her departure was tense and reminded Jughead of Old West standoffs. Only instead of shooting at eachother Sylvia and Jughead maintined eye contact, waiting for the other to blink first.

For the other to give in. Jughead wanted to know why Sylvia Gale was the way she was and Sylvia wanted Jughead to drop the question.

Jughead blinked first; but only because a caloused hand dropped down on his shoulder.

Both he and Sylvia looked up to see Reggie Mantel and Walter Quinley.

"Look what we have here Donnie Darko on a date with Carrie," Reggie looked at Sylvia, "And here I thought you said you and Donnie weren't together."

"I also said he could do better then you," Sylvia reminded him, "Both of which are true." Reggie glared at Slyvia and dropped his hand from Jugheads shoulder to the table top.

"You know I heard Darko over here ask about your childhood and to be honest Walt and I wanna know too. I mean what happens that makes a kid end up like you."

"Leave her alone Reggie," Jughead snapped, before Sylvia vould defend herself.

Reggie looked at Jughead ans smirked.

"Why, do you like her or something?" Jughead blushed and denied it but Reggie just contuined on, "I mean she is the girl you would have a chance with."

"Go away Reggie," Sylvia snapped.

"And why would I do that?" The boy wondered. Sylvia stood up from the booth and tilted her head up at Reggie.

"Because if you don't I'm going to kick your ass," she told him. Reggie stepped closer to her, his shoes knocked into hers and Jughead held himself back from junping in between the two.

"I'd like to see you try," Reggie hissed. Just as Sylvia balled up her hands the voice of an agatated Pop Tate cut through the dinner.

"What is going on here?" Reggie and Sylvia, along with Walter and Jughead turned to the Aferican American man.

"Nothing," Sylvia said. Pop Tate crossed his arms over her chest and raised a brow.

"That so?" Sylvia stepped back from Reggie and nodded.

"Yes sir, we were just talking. Isn't that right Reggie?" Sylvia glared at Reggie who, with a clenched jaw nodded.

"Yeah," Reggie agreed, "We were just talking."

"Good. Now go find a table," Pop told Reggie amd Walter; both of whom slunked off to the back of the dinner where their friends were. Sylvia resumed her seat in the booth and Pop Tate looked down at the girl.

"What was that all about?" He asked. Slyvia shurgged. Pop Tate had been her mothers friend for the longest time, long before they had come to Riverdale.

"He wanted a fight," Sylvia muttered honestly. Pop sighed.

"Not in my dinner, got it." Sylvia smiled up at Pop Tate and nodded.

"Sure thing." Susanna brushed past Pop and put her and Jugheads plates on the table.

"Enjoy," the older girl said weekly. Pop followed her back into the kitchen leaving Sylvia and Jughead to talk about trival things like their favorite cartoon growing up or their go to vacation.

---

i know its been forever since i said I'd update but holy fuck is this show bad like i tried to watch the rest of season one and season two and like what the fuck.
anyway hoped you liked the chapter