eighteen

one month later

I sat down my book I was reading and looked out the window. It was a nice summers day out. Blue skies and Sunshine. Just the way I like it.

I had my window open letting the cool breeze inside to gently touch my warm skin.

My window was directly across from Wyatt's. His window was open too but he didn't seem to be in the room.

I had the urge to give him a surprise.

He always would surprise me. Even in the middle of nowhere. The store, the car, even outside. He was a real keeper. He made me happy.

I giggled at the thought as I decided maybe I shouldn't try and hurt myself.

When Wyatt and I were kids we were very adventurous. Yet, so were all of our friends. We made a lot of memories doing so.

"I don't think we should be doing this," I shrugged my shoulders as Jaeden and Wyatt were making a way to get between our windows. Specifically with some rope from one window to the other.

"Don't worry y/n, we will make it safe!" Jaeden tried to calm me.

He and Wyatt made an effort to make our childhood a bit more adventurous at the time. It was so cute and hilarious to think about.

I snap out of my thoughts and look out the window and into Wyatt's. Only to see him and Jaeden standing there in a contented and proud moment.

"Come on y/n, your turn." Jaeden smiled.

"That's okay I don't want to get hurt, you guys have fun." I mumbled.

"No! It's okay we won't let you get hurt." Wyatt smiled. Trying to convince me.

"Yeah he's right, we're right here." Jaeden continued with Wyatt.

Jaeden swung me back the rope as Wyatt reached out the window to grab me when needed.

We really cared for each other. All of us.

I pulled myself to grab Wyatt's close hand and tightly hold the rope which, was tied to a curtain rod inside the opposite window. I guess it was just there for support.

I held my breath as I made it out one window and into another. I was proud if my young self. I looked up and smiled at Wyatt and Jaeden.

"I told you, we won't ever let anything happen to you." Wyatt smiled.

And that was that. We would always be there for each other.

I sat my book down and stood up to open my window fully. Wyatt's window looked close enough. And it was fully opened.

I held my breath just as I did when I was younger and pushed myself to grab onto the opposite window ledge.

I actually made it on his window. I sat on his window seal. Still proud that I just did it.

Because nor Wyatt or Jaeden would be there to catch me if I fall. Sometimes you have to catch yourself before you fall to far.

A slight argument sound caught my attention. Wyatt's room was empty. His bedroom door shut.

The noise was so faint and low, but I heard it louder than any other words that rang through my ears. "I'm serious Wyatt, I don't think you should be with her. You need to focus on other things. I don't want her to be a bad influence on you."

I felt my heart stop. I didn't know I came into people this way. What did I do?

Wyatt was becoming my true happiness, I didn't want it to be taken away.

The one time, In a long time, I truly let myself feel free and can be myself with someone, it gets taken away.

As I continued to hear the faint continued arguing. I felt a tear slip down my cheek.

Then I heard Wyatt's words again.

"I told you, we won't ever let anything happen to you."