15. dude, where's my lab?

Start from the beginning

We all approved of the name because it was actually pretty clever.

"You guys will launch the rocker just like in your training simulations. It will block the solar flare by releasing a cloud of heavy gas into the atmosphere." He informed us.

"You're going down, sun!" Adam yelled and we all just gave him weird looks. Davenport led us over to the panel on the wall.

"This super computer is calculating the precise time that you need to launch the rocket. It could be minutes, it could be hours. You'll just have to wait and see." Davenport said, and that's when we all realized what he was saying. I wasn't really complaining though. It's not everyday you get to launch a rocket into space.

"Wait, in here? But we're supposed to go to the beach!" Bree said to him.

"Yeah, and I was supposed to be six foot one. Life is full of disappointments." Davenport said before looking up at Adam with a disappointed look on his face. Adam just gave him a sad smile before looking away.

"Great. So we all have to pay the price for another short guy with an axe to grind." Chase complained.

"Guys focus! It takes all three of you to initiate the sequence. Once the alert sounds, you'll have a two hour window to launch the rocket before the flare becomes unstoppable. Got it?" Davenport asked.

"Yeah, we got it. Saving the world is going to ruin my vacation! Stupid world." Bree groaned.

"Guys, come on! Your missing all of the fun!" Tasha said from outside the RV, "There is a bulldog in sunglasses riding a surf board! Oh... never mind!"

Once the door slammed back shut, Davenport said, "Look, as soon as you guys launch the rocket and save the world, you can get out of here and go get your beach on!"

"Wow." Leo said as we all gave him weird looks. Did he really just say that again?

"What? Still nothing? You know what? I don't need your approval. I'm rich!" Davenport said to us.

"Are Leo and I the only ones who think launching a rocket is cool?" I asked, knowing that my best friend thought this was just as cool as I did.

"Big D, go slather on some SPF 50.... thousand." Leo said once he looked down at Davenport's ghost legs, "Haley and I got this."

"No! I trust Haley, but the only thing you've got is the uncanny ability to break the most expensive thing in the room." He said to Leo.

"Oh shoot, is this about your guitar?" I asked him and he looked back at me with wide eyes.

"What about my guitar?" He asked me.

"Um, let's go! We're missing the surfing bulldog!" Leo said nervously as he grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the RV.

What happened to Davenport's guitar is a story that will be saved for another time.

———

Soon enough, Leo and I were sitting on the beach with Tasha and Davenport. Leo and I shared a large towel as I laid on my back with my sunglasses on. Let's just say that this vacation wasn't as fun as I thought it was going to be.

"Listen to that. No phones ringing, no gadgets and buzzing. Just the sounds of nature, and... a bulldog coughing up seed weed." Tasha said as she took off her sunglasses and cringed.

"And that is another reason why I hate nature. Isn't nature fun?" I asked Leo without sitting up.

"Yeah. There's nothing more fun than sitting completely still in direct sunlight for hours on end. My back sweat is heading towards unnatural places." Leo said, and we first bumped without looking at each other.