Chapter 3: Pitch Black

• Dedicated to PITCHELSA shippers

"Girl," Elsa's mother said when the child unlocked her door. Her mother had a strange bewildered look on her face. She gently held her daughter's shoulder. "Who were you talking to?"

Elsa pouted and looked at her hands.

"Ah, child," the queen sighed.

Just as she let out her words, the king came storming about. "What is the matter here?"

 The queen turned her head to her husband. "The girl has been having ice-mares again."

The king sighed, smoke coming out of his nostrils because of the cold. He went to Elsa and knelt so that his face would level with hers.

Elsa flinched. The close distance between her face and her father's was so near, she might blast him with an icicle. "I have something for you," her father sung. "Dear, your old gloves can no longer veil your frost. These are specially made by the finest glover I can find." The king pressed his lips together. "He said that it may even be too warm to be comfortable." He brought out a pair of thin, though thicker than her silk gloves, short white woolen gloves. "They will help conceal your powers. Conceal it?"

"Don't feel it," answered Elsa calmly with a small smile curling up her lips.

"Don't let it show," the two said in unison.

-----------------------------

"Whose was that voice?" Jack asked a snowflake. He was crouching on a branch of a dead tree Just outside castle Arendelle. "I know that voice, I know that voice," he muttered to himself again and again, but it did not help him know. Nevertheless, it made him more curious every time he said it.

--------------------------

  The gloves were working, Elsa can see. Just recently, the servants tidied her room and there was no snowflake to be seen. Her room never lasted a minute without a spot of frost. But it has been hours since her chambers were cleaned. There still wasn't a sign of any that boy Jack Frost. Elsa had been hoping he would visit again. He seemed like a fun guy. She wanted to witness the powers he has and to know how they both have it. He said I can use my powers for good, she said to herself. How? All they do is hurt people.  

Perhaps she had said it out loud but hadn't noticed because a deep voice abruptly interrupted her train of thought. "Why do you care about Jack Frost?"

Elsa turned around quickly with a gasp. "Who's there?" she demanded with a stern voice.

From the dark corner of her room a figure emerged in a long black robe that resembled the shadows under her bed that once haunted Elsa. The figure grinned wickedly at her, a smirk that showed either loneliness or sadistic desires. It sent chills to Elsa's spine.

"You are right, your powers are dangerous, and they could kill," it continued.

Elsa finally had a clear look at his face. The creature's feline silver-yellow eyes were piercing and menacing like an eclipse, his face shape triangular, cheekbones visible but the flesh was stony and gray! He--Elsa figured this was a man---also had glossy black hair styled as a field of slick spikes. He reminded Elsa of a tale her father used to tell her sister to make her behave, except the character in the story was of a tall faceless man that kidnaps children and put them in sacks with slaughtered animals in the forest.

"Don't come near me!" Elsa warned. Pitch could smell her adrenaline rising.

Pitch accepted the warning coolly and retorted, "What harm can you do to me?" with a laugh. "I hardly even exist! I am a figment of your imagination that you are forced to believe in."

"Stay away!" screamed Elsa. Pitch neared her and neared her. She kept backing away. Pitch could spy the weak layer of snow on the tips of her gloves.

"Oh, Elsa," he sighed. He placed his hand on his own cheek and chuckled at her naivety.

"Do you wanna build a snowman?"

Once Pitch heard the small voice of Elsa's sister, he removed his slender palm from his face and faced the door, his hands clasped and an evil grin curving from his lips. His eyes turned to Elsa. "Would you like me to scare away your sister?"

Elsa's eyes widened with worry.

"She sounds pretty irritating. You must be really tired hearing her sing the same song all these years."

"Don't you dare touch her," Elsa growled. Her face darkened as her voice deepened.

Pitch scoffed. Is she threatening me? Me, the Boogeyman? What indomitable spirit. He reached out slowly to the knob of her door but his eyes never left Elsa's.

"Or ride a bike around the hall..." Anna continued.

Pitch extended his hand more.

"Don't!" Elsa shouted.

But Pitch was stubborn. He reached out more and that's when Elsa's rage overcame here. She held back her hands, closed her eyes and forcefully thrust them to Pitch's direction. She had sent a powerful blast of ice out of her covered hands!

But when she opened her eyes, the dark man was gone. All that was left was a giant mural of a snowflake at the corner of the room.

Her parents must have heard it. They immediately appeared behind her door with a worried look on their faces.

----------------------------

"Elsa!" Jack yelled at the wind once he heard the princess cry out a terrible wail. He jumped off the branch and flew swiftly to her bedroom window but he spotted her parents, he quickly moved away from the glass, his back pressed firmly on the wooden wall. He placed his toes on an uneven piece of wood to keep his balance.

--------------------------

  "I'm scared!" she cried out to her parents. "It's getting stronger!"  

"Elsa, getting upset won't help," a voice from inside said.

"Go away! I don't want to hurt you."

Jack sighed quietly and took a peek in her window. He saw Elsa holding her gloved hands back and a snowflake behind her on the wall. But what struck him was the lady beside the man that was telling Elsa to calm down. His eyes widened at first but then strained as he tried to take a glimpse of this woman's face.

"I thought this might happen," the man below him said.

Jack turned around. "Pitch."

"You recognize me?" Pitch smirked. "Perhaps you recognize that woman over there." He pointed at the woman with the dark braided hair. "But what do I care? As if I know anything about your life."

Jack flew down from the window and to the ground. "What do you want?"

"No, Jack; what do you want? Why are you here?"

"I asked you first."

"Well," Pitch began, crossing his arms. "I'm here to find people who actually believe in me." Pitch explained.

"Too bad for you. I'm first to find someone who actually believes," Jack smiled, his chin high up.

"Oh, you mean that child?" Pitch pointed to Elsa's direction. "She doesn't believe in you."

"Yes she does," Jack insisted. "The other day, she saw and heard me."

"I don't believe that," he said with a mocking scoff.

"Well, you should."

"I tell you what." Pitch raised his hand to pause Jack's boasting. "If you can prove to me that she really believes in you, I leave her. But if you don't... you'll have leave her yourself."

"Challenge accepted."

"But I'll have to be there for you to prove it."

"Then be there."