Chapter 3

"Bruce is... deeply disturbed," Alfred explained. He tried to put that cold, chilling laugh out of mind as he spoke. "He doesn't know who he is anymore. He lives in a fantasy world where he is a hero fighting crime to avenge his dead parents." He shook his head, and his throat grew tighter at the memory of Thomas and Martha. "Seeing them killed just broke him into a dozen pieces."

"We've dealt with this kind of thing before," Cobb assured him. "Phobias and the like. Wealthy clients afraid of spiders, you know? We take them into a dream, help them fight off a giant spider or something, and that's it. As soon as they wake up the phobia is gone. We just need to help Bruce confront these new demons he has created." Alfred nodded. They'd brought him into a dream and explained more about how the process had worked. It had been pretty fantastic, but he really couldn't deny that they could do what they said they could do. And if it could help Bruce... "How soon can we start, then?"

------------------------

Cobb shrugged. "Well, we'll probably need to hire some muscle to help us in there. We usually bring a few hired guns on these phobia cases just to make the fight goes well. We have contacts with some regulars, but it'll be a few days to put together."

Alfred shook hands with each of them. "I suppose I will see you then."

"Gentlemen, welcome to Arkham Asylym. It's good to see you again." Dr. Crane shook Cobb's hand, and they grinned at each other. "I've got to tell you, Cobb, I am excited to see this process of yours in action. The implications that this could have for some of our other patients..."

Arthur snorted. "Let's remember how much this costs," he reminded Crane. "We don't break out the PASIV for under a million."

"Right," Crane turned and led the way through the Arkham lobby toward the elevator bank where Alfred was already waiting. They all exchanged pleasantries, and Cobb introduced Alfred to Eames, the 'associate' that they'd hired for this job. "Well, it will be interesting nonetheless." Crane continued, "And I'm happy to be taking part."

Alfred looked confused, so Cobb explained: "Dr Crane here will be providing our 'kick.' At the appropriate time, he'll wake us out of the dream. We may need to make an additional trip if we don't confront all of these alternate personalities in time, but I don't think that will be necessary." He and Arthur exchanged a look; they'd had a good laugh over the idea of spending a million dollars just to confront a clown. But it was Wayne's money, and if this is what he needed, then so be it.

Once the elevator arrived, Crane used his key to bring them down to the sub-basement for the most severe patients. Bruce didn't even seem to notice when Crane and two of the orderlies entered his cell and pulled him upright. He hung between them like dead weight as they dragged him out of the room. Alfred couldn't even stand to watch him in this condition, eyes darting wildly and completely unfocused.

Five gurneys covered in white sheets were waiting in the operating theater, the only private room at Arkham with the room to accommodate them all. The orderlies lay Bruce down and strapped his arms and legs into place. Even with the sedative that Cobb would be administering, these sorts of confrontations can sometimes turn violent for the subject.

Cobb, Arthur, and Eames all took their places on the other gurneys and began putting the sensors on their temples while Crane set up an IV drip of the sedative. Cobb glanced at Alfred, then shot a pointed glance at the remaining empty gurney. "Well?"

"What?" Alfred asked. "Me?"

Cobb and Arthur exchanged an 'is he serious?' look, then Cobb nodded. "Yes, you. Crane has to be here to administer the kick. Who did you think it was for?"

"Well... I.... I hadn't really thought about it. Don't you think I'm a little too old to be doing that sort of thing?"

"It's a dream," Cobb retorted. "You can be in whatever shape you want to be. But we're going to need to convince Bruce here that he can trust us, and that will be a whole hell of a lot easier with you with us."

Alfred looked to Dr. Crane, maybe awaiting some confirmation that this is what everyone expected. Crane gave a slight nod, then went back to his work. "All right, all right." He moved over to the gurney and took a seat. For Master Bruce, he told himself. Do it for Master Bruce. He put on the sensors and lay back with his eyes closed. After a few moments, Dr. Crane came over and gently inserted the needle into his arm, causing him to wince even though he'd been expecting it. "How long until it takes effect?" Alfred asked. Crane didn't answer for a few moments, so Alfred opened his eyes. "Doctor?"

Cobb, Arthur, and Eames were standing in an alley in front of him with grins on their faces. "It's pretty quick," Cobb said; the other two snickered.

Alfred hadn't even realized he was standing, instead of laying down. It was like Cobb said when he'd first explained how to enter a dream: you never start at the beginning of the dream; you're always just... there. He took a moment to survey his surroundings: a dirty alleyway with soot-stained bricks, graffiti, and crumbling tenements on either side. He caught just a slight glimpse of an unfamiliar skyline across what looked like a very dirty river. "Where are we?" he asked the others.

Eames jerked a thumb up to a billboard overhead, looking like it was straight out of the 1950s: Stagg Enterprises Cares about Gotham. The image wouldn't have been complete without a cheery-looking cartoon chemical cloud. "We're in Gotham, apparently," Cobb said. "Well, Bruce's version of Gotham."

"Hey," Arthur said. "Anyone else notice that?" He pointed to the sky, where the symbol of a bat was projected across looming thunderclouds.

They all stared at it for a while, trying to figure out exactly what it meant. "This... is going to be more interesting than I may have thought," Cobb finally concluded.