Mad Love- Short Story

"You know I'm beginning to think twenty bucks isn't enough for the level of danger for this task." Jerry rubbed his chin thoughtfully as I applied some last finishing touches on my get up.

I whipped around and glared down at the 4 ft 2'' ten year old. "Are you trying to swindle more cash out of me you little swine?"

"Perceptive as always big sis." He grinned innocently up at me.

"You're getting twenty dollars and not a cent more, that was the deal. Unless you want mom to find out who broke her favorite vase." I threatened.

"Hey!" He gasped. "You promised you wouldn't tell!"

"And you promised you'd cover for me so I could go to this party." I countered.

"Fine." He crossed his arms over his chest and made his way out of my room grumbling like the little gremlin he was.

I turned back to the mirror and gave myself a once over and an approving wink. I was going to make the hottest Harley Quinn at that party.

 I was going to make the hottest Harley Quinn at that party

A honk came from out front signaling that my ride was here. I grabbed my purse and slide down the bannister to the ground floor.

"One day, you'll miss and I'll have to clean up your brains." Jerry called from the couch where he sat watching Nat Geo.

"And you'll forever be a little weirdo. Don't forget to message me when they're on their way home." I reminded him.

"Yeah yeah." He waved me off. "Smell you later?"

"Smell you later."

I ran out, locking the front door behind me and over to Kat's Camero. As I hopped into the passenger's seat, she turnt a questioning eye to me. "What are you suppose to be?"

"Harley Quinn." I stated giving her a duh face.

"No you're not." She returned the expression.

"Oh no," I gasped incredulously as she started the vehicle. "You're one of those fake fans who hopped on after suicide squad aren't you?" I shook my head and flipped down the visor to use the mirror." This is the original Harley Quinn costume for your information, you fake fan."

"Yeah yeah, no need to bust a vein. We're here." Kat had parked a block away from the party but the music could be heard loud and clear.

We got out of the vehicle and took our short walk to a lawn filled with monsters and lovers. Everyone really went all out on their costumes. I was rather impressed. I even saw more Harley Quinns, but the suicide squad version; as was expected.

"It's about to be lit." Kat and I grinned wildly at each other before stepping trough the front door.

Half an hour into the party I had lost Kat, was on my third drink and dancing sensually at the core of the dance floor. The music was pulsing through every vein in my body consuming my senses. So much so that when a hand laid upon my waist and a gruff voice breathed in my ear, the shock back to reality was so sudden, it was ...electrifying.  "Harley girl," it said. "I've been looking for you...everywhere." 

I turned around to face the intruder. "Personal spa--." My complaint caught in my throat as I looked up into the most dangerous eyes I'd witnessed in--ever. Those eyes--a deep moss green--said, stare into me and get sucked into the madness; sweet madness. 

I forced my self to break away and look him over. My lips pulled back into a cheshire grin. I ran my tongue over my pearly whites and sucked. "Mr. J, did you break out just for me?"

"Anything for you suga." he stepped back and made a dramatic show of spreading his arms. "Now dance with me!" 

His hands came back to my waist and mine around his shoulders. "Did you do your own make up?" I asked.

"Yeah I did. It's pretty easy when you have to look insane." He shrugged. "Original Harley, I like it."

"Thanks." I paused, then mustered some courage. "Your eyes frighten me."

"What do you mean?" He asked, sounding genuinely confused. The fact that he stayed in character using Joker's voice made everything he said chilling. I wonder if his real voice had the same effect.

"I feel like they're sucking me in and that's not good. Its anything but."

"Do they make you want to lose control? To give in?" 

I didn't respond because I wasn't sure what exactly they made me want to do.

"Perhaps, just for tonight, on All Hallows' Eve, you should give in to me, Daddy's Little Monster. Indulge in the mad love." The thought was considerably tempting. I had to stop myself from responding several times. Opening and closing my mouth too many times to count. I probably resembled a fish out of water. That was exactly what I was though. Someone who was totally out of their element. He was the master of this domain and he knew it. As his hands roamed my body, never once straying inappropriately,close but never quite there;teasing me, he knew exactly who was in charge.

We danced all night; until we were both sweaty, breathless, and wanton. Now we stand face to face, so close that our breaths mingled as we calm our racing hearts. His hands at my waist squeeze and I groan. 

"Who are y--" I was abruptly cut off as was the music as someone's voice came over the mic and sirens rang clear. 

"Yo the police are coming!"

All around us panic filled the air as everyone began to scatter like frantic mice. I scamper to get my phone to call Kat. The bright screen greeted me with glowing digits; 12:00 a.m.  

"Harley," he called. I looked up and not a second later equally red lips crashed against mine exciting the liquid in my veins and igniting the flame deep within my belly. I thought his eyes would steal my soul, no, it was his lips.

When he pulled away, his hand held my chin in place and his thumb grazed my bottom lip. He spoke to words to me before vanishing. They took a minute to register but when they finally did, I made like a ghost and disappeared.

"Run, Harley ."

I met Kat waiting for me back at the car. "Where were you? We gotta go!" We both entered the vehicle and made haste to get home. "What's wrong?" She glanced over at me every few seconds. "Did something happen?"

I thought about it for a second and the only words that came to mind were, "I lost my puddin'." Margot Robbie said it perfectly.

****