"Why must I get into something as fancy as a red dress?" Alys asked, now annoyed on top of being confused.  She did not like drawing attention to herself, and wearing red would definitely attract eyes. 

"The Marniac royalty will also be present for the meal. The prince made it clear he wanted you to wear the red dress."

Alys groaned and sat down on her bed.  The last thing she wanted to do was sit in the presence of important people, other than Dastrehan.  But as much as she wished to refuse, she knew her absence would not be appreciated.  She owed it to the prince to come through for him when he requested things of her. 

Reluctantly, she pulled off the blue dress and got into the red one.  She put on a gold-coloured, double strapped metal belt as usual, and sat down again so that Rose could help her with her hair.  Alys would have done it herself, but if she were going to be in the presence of visiting royalty, she wanted to look as best as she could. 

Alys almost did not recognize herself when she took a quick look in the mirror.  The dress was more beautiful than anything she had ever worn, though it would not be much next to the dresses the princesses would be wearing.  Rose had braided Alys's hair and pinned it up into a wound up bun. 

"Thank you Rose," Alys whispered, gently patting the pinned braids, "I would never have been able to do this on my own."

"My pleasure!" Rose smiled and stepped back from Alys to give her space.  Alys slid off her bed and walked out into the hallway to find Rohan. 

"Do I look okay?" Alys asked, smiling her best despite her nerves about the impending meal.  She turned slowly to show Rohan the dress.

"You look like a lady that many would fight over to take to a ball," Captain Rohan replied.  Alys laughed and waved him off.  As silly as his comments were, they made her happy.

"I highly doubt any man would offer to take a pregnant woman to a ball. They would most likely be too scared I would break!"  She laughed again.

Rohan chuckled, "I suppose it would take a brave man, my Lady."

They headed down the halls towards the main dining hall.  When they arrived, Alys stopped outside the archway leading in.  She leaned against the wall and placed a hand on her stomach.  She felt as if she were going to be sick.

"Are you alright, Lady Alys?" Rohan put a hand on her back, his voice full of concern. 

Alys nodded and swallowed.  

"I really do not wish to go in there."

Cheerful voices and laughter floated from the great dining hall.  Rohan frowned to show his sympathy.

"Do you wish me to tell the Prince that you have taken ill?"

Alys wished she could.  She just wanted to go back to bed.  But she owed it to Dastrehan to make an appearance.

"No, thank you though." she finally replied, appreciating his loyalty to her, "I should go in."

Alys took a deep breath and pushed herself away from the wall.  After smoothing her dress, she squared her shoulders and forced herself to enter the dining hall.

The second that Dastrehan saw her enter the room, he stood and walked towards her.

"Alys, my Dear. I am sorry that I did not come to get you myself."  Dastrehan took one of her hands and squeezed it.

"You should not apologize, your Highness." Alys looked up at his face and forced a smile.

Dastrehan smiled easily back, "That dress looks most becoming on you."