3

Emesa draws in the mud with a stick. She draws a dragon, Helgen and Ulfric. Meanwhile, her minds wanders far away as she doodles. What has happened to the Altmer child? Helgen? Ulfric? The royal stallion stares at her, he has somewhat warmed to her after their escape, glad that she hadnt taken a different mount, one that would listen to her more. The sound of twigs breaking alerts Emesa of the arrival of someone or something. She smudges the mud, using the stick, and sets one of her arrows on fire.

"Who goes there?" Emesa demands. Two figures emerge from the shrubs.

"Lady Rosewind!" one cries. He is shorter than the other one with and male, a wood elf. "You are well!"

"Indeed I am." She puts away her bow. "Would you care to join me for a piece of roasted deer?" Emesa motions to the deer on the fire. The two, one wood elf and one argonian, sit down by the camfire. She notices that theyre wearing the clothing of Dragonsgate guards.

"We have been sent to escort you home." the argonian female explains. "What has happened?"

"This should reach the Jarl straight away and no other ears. It would only cause panic." Emesa argues.

"Its the dragon isnt it?" the male wood elf whispers. "The one we saw fly out of the portal." Emesa nods.

"Dark days are upon us." the female observes. Emesa looks down. The two guards continue chattering as Emesa thinks. "What I find curious is why the dragon flew straight to Helgen and didnt attack Dragonsgate."

"It needs Dragonsgate." Emesa speaks up. The guards look at her as she looks up. "It needs the portal to bring the souls of other dragons back. If it attacked Dragonsgate then it would lose a place of strategic power. Even if the statue was kept untouched, if he drove everyone out, the place would become packed with bandits who would probably destroy the statue. This would mean that he would have to constantly stay at the statue and he wouldnt be able to bring any of the other dragons back."

"Why do you think that the dragon would want other dragons back?" the male inquires.

"Its obvious." Emesa stresses. "He cant live alone. Everyone needs another one of their species. A lover, a friend, a family member. Would you be able to stand the loneliness?" The guards shake their heads. Emesa looks at the sky, its starting to lighten. "We should set out. We want to reach Dragonsgate by night."

***

Emesas mother leads the royal stallion back to his stable inside the city walls. The older elf looks at her daughter and sighs. Shes traumatised.

"You should go meet the Jarl." Eleaelyn sighs. Emesa nods and looks up at the dragon statue. Its golden eyes gleam and a faint lilac flickering appears in its maw. The marble scales shine brightly, showing off the purple tips. She sets off, with the two guards who accompanied her, to the Palace.

***

"I believe that you have heard the legend about the dragon?" Belinda asks her friend as they sit in the study sipping wine. Emesa nods. Belinda smiles.

"But I do favour it." Emesa states with a smile. "And you tell it so wonderfully that it would be an insult not to hear it." Belinda laughs.

"You are too kind!" the nord woman exclaims. "Well." she clears her throat. "Once upon a time, there was a princess, with hair as white and bright as the moon, eyes as bright as gold and her hair faded from white at the top to purple at the very bottom. But this princess had the ability to create portals to other worlds. One day, a dragon spied the virgin and claimed her as his bride. But she was already promised to another. Great was the dragons rage as he searched for his beloved, taken from him by some prince. He found her one day, after she cried out for him, for they shared a special bond, being bedded by the prince against her will. The dragon burned the prince but the dead was already done. His seed was already beginning to quicken in the princesses womb. She was a maiden no more. Yet the dragon took her nonetheless and made her his queen, queen of all dragons. That same night the dragon took on human form and, after many pleas from the princess, bedded his beloved. After that, while both were sound asleep, two things happened. The princess turned into a dragon and the seeds of the dragon and the prince combined. The two rejoyced in the news. But while the king was out hunting, another dragon, driven by jealousy and rage for the death of his prince friend, attacked the queen, wounding her heavily. The queen sought shelter with the people of Dragonsnest who worshipped the dragons and perched on top of this very palace. She let out one final roar, to tell her king where she was, and died, but for a day, one final portal, into the afterlife, stayed in her maw as she grew in size to become a statue. The people wept, seeing their beloved queen give up the ghost. Later, the king found them and wept among them, but soon the other dragons assembled an army and attacked the king, sending him through the portal and followed after him, to keep him there forever. As for the children of the prince, king and queen? Their spirits sought the worthy among the gathered people and bonded with them, to grant blessing upon them and let their future descendants become Dragonborn. But one day, the dragons will return, the queen will awaken, the hybrids will be born and a war shall rage across Skyrim, in the same time that men shall slaughter one another over the same cause. A ruler. A ruler for the people and creatures of Skyrim." Emesa brushed a tear from her eye. "And I fear that, that day is nigh."

(I would like to thank my friend who wrote the story of the dragon princess/queen. Muchos gracias chico!)