“Kadence baby, what is wrong?  What is going on in that pretty little head of yours?”

“I just, I know I am stupid for being with Nate, it’s just that I can’t leave him without possibly letting others get hurt.  This weekend he, well he slapped me so hard that I hit the floor knocking out.  He shoved Devyn making her hit her shoulder, and he even threatened his own friend.”  Her voice started to crack as she started describing more.  I could feel my body tighten up around her, how can she let herself go through this?  “Nick, there is more.  That day at Sadie’s when you asked about my arm, it was because he shoved me into the wall calling me an ungrateful bitch.  He has cheated on me and I know it is my fault because I won’t give him what he wants, but I just don’t know what to do.”  She broke down into tears right in front of me.  She was so vulnerable and hurt I wasn’t sure what to do.  I sat up picking her up and setting her in my lap.  I wrapped an arm around her pushing her into my chest. 

“Kadence, I will do whatever it takes to get you out of this relationship.  Please don’t keep it from me anymore babe, please don’t.  It makes me sick to see you like this, you don’t deserve this.  Just relax ok I am here now and I won’t let you go.  I will protect you ok?”

“Ok, just please don’t leave me until you have too?”

“Kadence, I have been here at the drop of a dime, I will never leave you.  I will always be with you no matter what happens.”  She looked at me with shock and concern.

“Nick no you promised you wouldn’t do anything stupid, please just leave it alone I can’t live knowing something happened to you.  I need you.”  Those words did it, they hit the spot.  Kadence needed me and wanted to be with me.  Those words made me realize that as much as I wanted to protect her, I had to just be here for her. 

                We sat there silently for about two hours.  She sat in my lap while I cradled her, holding her as tight as I could.  Finally she asked me if I wanted to eat some food, I nodded but inside I wanted to stay in bed with her.  I wanted her to know how sorry I was, I wanted to be vulnerable with her too.  I had to do it today.  She just told me everything that has been happening, I needed to be completely honest with her.  We finished some cereal, she always ate cocoa pebbles and I was always eating the fruity pebbles.  After the dishes were done, I grabbed her hand and pulled her back in the bedroom.  Her smile grew as I walked her down the hallway, I wasn’t sure what she thought I was doing.  I sat her down on the bed and took a deep breath.  “Kadence, I am so sorry.  I am sorry for what happened and what I did to you regardless if I remember it or not.  Even if I never get another chance, I have to know that you understand that I am sorry.  I am sorry for that and I am sorry I have done the worse job of protecting you.  You shouldn’t be covered in bruises, you shouldn’t look sick, you deserve to look happy.”  I felt my emotions catch in my throat, I dropped down to my knees and held onto her legs.  “Kadence I love you, I have always loved you.  You mean everything to me.  Seeing you hurt is just like ripping my insides out.  I need you just like you need me, and the fact that I might lose you to him tears me apart.”  I felt her hand reach down to my face gently pulling me to meet her face.  “Nicholas Landen Carter, I forgive you.  You will never lose me, I am forever yours.  You are my happiness, and when I get out of this, I will show you how much of my heart you own. “ 

                I couldn’t think of anything else to do so I pressed my lips on hers.  The passion of it ran through my veins making my body want more.  I pulled back knowing it was wrong because of Nate, I just stared in those beautiful Hazel, brown eyes.  She slipped her hand in the back of my hair pulling me towards her.  I knew I should stop but I couldn’t resist, I stood up wrapping her legs around me.  I pushed her up against the bedroom wall and pressed my lips to hers again.  She felt perfect wrapped around me, and her taste was sweet and mind blowing.  The kiss grew deeper filling my body with need for her all of her.  I knew I would kick myself in the balls later, but I knew she wasn’t ready for this.  I broke the kiss laying my forehead against hers, letting her breath hit my face.  I spun her around laying her on the bed, all I wanted to do was look at her.  This moment was perfect she loved me just as much as I loved her, once she was mine again I will never let myself leave her side.